Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
82DMC12  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 10:40:09 AM(UTC)
82DMC12

Groups: Registered

Hi guys,

I have the GX5SHDXTQ00 top-fridge and bottom-freezer. I am experiencing an issue where the bottom of the freezer is collecting an ice sheet which eventually migrates towards the front right corner where it is warm enough to melt and then drip onto the floor under the fridge.

In removing the rear wall of the freezer, I find after a few weeks that the evaporator is almost totally covered in frost and ice, which then requires blow-drying to melt and start all over again.

Finally for the third time I went through this again yesterday and downloaded the service booklet.

I did the defrost force-test - yes the defrost bar is warming up (burned my finger!)

Checked the thermostat - closed when it is frozen (checked at about 10F) and open when it is above some point around there (definitely open by 32F)

Fan works, damper is working, compressor cycles on and off as expected

Coils are clean

No other issues with the system.

In reading other threads on here it seems the Jazz board must be the culprit. Sadly it was replaced by the house's PO a few years ago once already so hard to believe it's bad again, but I will replace it if that's the consensus.

Is there anything else I can check before dropping $200 on this fridge? It's a great fridge otherwise.

Thanks,
Andy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

GLP  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 3:43:57 PM(UTC)
GLP

This happened on mine and it was the defrost drain got clogged. If your model is similar, then there is a duckbill grommet that gets clogged. Here is a video that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fea75FySAQ0
GLP  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 3:43:58 PM(UTC)
GLP

This happened on mine and it was the defrost drain got clogged. If your model is similar, then there is a duckbill grommet that gets clogged. Here is a video that explains it.

82DMC12  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 3:55:15 PM(UTC)
82DMC12

Originally Posted by: GLP Go to Quoted Post

Hi GLP, thank you for the response. I just checked my fridge and I do not have that part. If I look at Cabinet Parts here:

Parts for Whirlpool GX5SHDXTQ00: Cabinet Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

I don't see one in the diagram. I only have a white plastic tube that makes a couple of gentle bends and is anchored to the fridge case. It is not flexible at all.