Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Secret Ingredient  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 5:01:06 PM(UTC)
Secret Ingredient

Groups: Registered

Hi there. Hoping someone can help narrow down the possibilities.

I have a Kenmore Elite Oasis dryer, basically the same as a whirlpool cabriolet, I believe. It recently started squealing a moment after starting, so I ordered the maintenance kit and replaced the rollers, belt and idler pulley, and cleaned it up as best I could. The felt at the front and rear of the drum was not replaced, but looked ok to me, although I really don't know exactly how it should look.

Unfortunately that did not fix it. Same loud squealing sound. The blower fan is running as it's pushing air and the drum sounds like it's turning but the squeal starts quickly and just gets worse until I turn it off. I have not let it run more than a minute or so.

So it seems it could be the felt, the blower bearing, or the motor bearings. I'm disinclined to think it's the felt as it's a fairly high pitched squeal, and does not sound like a slow speed metal against metal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:43:03 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Good information, but I have a couple of questions.

Have you tried starting the dryer with with the blower belt off and running on air dry (no heat) to see if the squealing is gone?

My best guess is its either the motor or the blower bearing. Both would be high speed squealing.

I guess it could be the smaller belt slipping, but you would notice less airflow if that were true.

I don't know why Whirlpool changed to this design. They added an extra bearing, pulley and belt to a design that worked just fine for 20+ years.
Secret Ingredient  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:48:39 PM(UTC)
Secret Ingredient

Here are some pics of the felt and the wear on the front dryer panel at the area the felt contacts it. Does this look normal? I know the pics are not great, but I don't see anywhere on the felt where it has worn through to expose metal. It seems ok to me.

Thanks,

[IMG]http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/UserPostedImageKenmore Oasis Dryer by sparky005s, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/UserPostedImageKenmore Oasis Dryer by sparky005s, on Flickr[/IMG]

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
Good information, but I have a couple of questions.

Have you tried starting the dryer with with the blower belt off and running on air dry (no heat) to see if the squealing is gone?

My best guess is its either the motor or the blower bearing. Both would be high speed squealing.

I guess it could be the smaller belt slipping, but you would notice less airflow if that were true.

I don't know why Whirlpool changed to this design. They added an extra bearing, pulley and belt to a design that worked just fine for 20+ years.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:03:35 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Those felt seals don't look too good. Do you get dark dust on you when you touch them?

They look like they've been really, really warm. Have you checked your vent all the way to the outside?
thorning  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 9:17:41 AM(UTC)
thorning

My guess is that the motor bearings are going bad and are squealing and will never get any better. The felt seal is not in very good shape but it usually does not squeal but rather makes a grinding noise. Motors for a dryer are fairly expensive and you should consider a new or newer one.
Secret Ingredient  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 4, 2017 3:41:10 PM(UTC)
Secret Ingredient

Thanks for all the responses. Parts are expensive. I think we are going to let the Sun dry our clothes for a while ; )
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply