Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cchen2  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 7:08:59 AM(UTC)
cchen2

Groups: Registered

One of my HVAC damper motor just went rogue. The serial number is GA58LB-5-6-46-136, which I don't have much luck find an exact replacement on the Internet. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TrickyDick007  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:11:46 AM(UTC)
TrickyDick007

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am also currently searching for the same exact item (damper motor GA58LB-5-6-46-136). Two of them in fact. I'll let you know if I am able to find anything.
Other details / specs:
"Synchron" round motor
24V 60 Hz 6W 1 RPM
cchen2  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 6:24:15 PM(UTC)
cchen2

Originally Posted by: TrickyDick007 Go to Quoted Post
I am also currently searching for the same exact item (damper motor GA58LB-5-6-46-136). Two of them in fact. I'll let you know if I am able to find anything.
Other details / specs:
"Synchron" round motor
24V 60 Hz 6W 1 RPM

I received a MA-ND5 today from EWC Controls, but it does not look anywhere similar to the damper motor GA58LB-5-6-46-136. Not even the watts number match.

Did you figure out to how to remove the old motor from the damper?
TrickyDick007  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 11:10:37 PM(UTC)
TrickyDick007

Originally Posted by: cchen2 Go to Quoted Post
I received a MA-ND5 today from EWC Controls, but it does not look anywhere similar to the damper motor GA58LB-5-6-46-136. Not even the watts number match.

Did you figure out to how to remove the old motor from the damper?

After many hours of frustration searching I found a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuuGhuAm1zE) by a company that seemed to be experts in identifying replacement solutions. As I dug further into my system, dismantling and taking the necessary pictures, etc., I came to realize the motor actually was able to engage and run... but the connection to the offset pivot had failed. I could tell this because I was able to move the flat damper actuator arm up and down (to open and close the damper veins) manually. The offset pivot simply spun freely around the motor shaft.

I assume since our motors have identical numerical codes, your setup might be similar. If so, check for the same symptom and if your problem is actually like mine (i.e., motor not actually fried) then I have some good news. This worked like a charm for me and I'm actually repairing my 2nd unit right now. I dabbed 2-part metal epoxy around the edge of the assembly (I used Loctite Epoxy Weld but something like JB Weld I think is same). I let it cure for about 3 hours (24h is full cure). I reassembled and watched in amazement as the damper now works perfectly!!:D:D:D I have pics and will try to get them uploaded tomorrow, assuming this forum supports pics.

As to your question for how to remove the old motor from damper:
Installations may vary but here's what I did...
There is a tiny clip that holds damper actuator arm ( a flat blade) to the offset pivot on the back of the motor assembly. Just carefully pry that off using a small sharp screwdriver.
Then remove three small screws holding the motor assembly to the damper.
And finally, remove the wires (likely 3... I had a red, white, and blue running from the zone control panel) from the damper motor assembly by loosening each connection using a tiny flat screwdriver.
The motor assembly should now be free from the damper.
I had been quite puzzled how to remove the motor itself from the assembly but that became a moot point when I discovered the real problem.
TrickyDick007  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2016 12:54:22 PM(UTC)
TrickyDick007

Just re-installed the 2nd repaired motor assembly. These motor are definitely still perfectly good. No need to mess with replacement if you have the same prob as me. I am attaching a few photos I hope will help you to visualize prior explanation.
TrickyDick007 attached the following image(s):
pic 1.jpg
pic 2 - Copy.jpg
pic 3.jpg
thanks 1 user thanked TrickyDick007 for this useful post.
monserjz on 6/24/2019(UTC)
cchen2  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2017 9:45:01 AM(UTC)
cchen2

Originally Posted by: TrickyDick007 Go to Quoted Post
Just re-installed the 2nd repaired motor assembly. These motor are definitely still perfectly good. No need to mess with replacement if you have the same prob as me. I am attaching a few photos I hope will help you to visualize prior explanation.

Congratulations on solving your issue! And thanks for such clear pictures and detailed instructions! I do have the exact same model as yours, and I could move damper actuator arm up and down manually and had since left it open to easy the pressure on blower. So it is likely that I have the same problem as yours. However, my damper is installed at the 90 degree duct joint and have a very tight space between the duct and the back of the motor. Not sure if you had the same situation - if so, did you remove the damper from the duct?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply