Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DryerDays  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:33:53 PM(UTC)
DryerDays

Groups: Registered

Recently when running a load in the dryer, we noticed the front of the dryer, under the door, was getting hot to the touch. Is that normal for a dryer to be hot to the touch in front when the dryer is running?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

DryerDays  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:43:26 PM(UTC)
DryerDays

I have checked the exhaust and that seems fine. Also ran the dryer without the vent running outside hooked up and front of dryer still got hot. I have texted the thermostat and thermistor in the front of the dryer and both seem fine.
Other suggestions on what to test or if the dryer being hot in front is normal?
colbey  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:45:29 PM(UTC)
colbey

i assume you mean the lower part of the front panel gets hot to the touch. i'd say that's NOT normal. you've checked the obvious things, which is good. i believe there are vents, of some kind, along the front bottom of the machine (where the machine draws IN air, according to one site). check that those are clear.

after that, my thought is that the drum is somehow venting to the interior of the machine. other parts of the casing are NOT hot to the touch? i don't know why/how it would vent only to the lower front, and/or only heat up the lower front of the casing. you don't hear grinding noises? (that might indicate a problem with the drum support glides.) no other strange noises? (something to indicate a problem with the blower?)

i'd try taking off the front panel, and checking: 1) that there's not some strange lint build-up below the lint trap; 2) the blower--if that's overheating, maybe it's heating the front of the casing; and 3) the felt trap duct (it should keep heat from escaping the drum).

for the last one, there's a video here:
GE WE09X20441 Felt Trap Duct - AppliancePartsPros.com

you can look at parts schematics here:
Parts for GE DCVH680EJ1WW: Cabinet Parts - AppliancePartsPros.com

and if you click on a part name in the list below, you'll get some extra info on each.

i found these pages/sites on GE dryers, but they weren't much help:
General Electric Dryer Repairs | GE Dryer Repair Manual
http://products.geapplia...-content?contentId=18709

and another site about repairs (repair c l i n i c with a commercial web address, and secured as an https) and if you append this, it's about GE dryers. but it didn't have too much relevant info either.
/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Dryer/6-3-849747-/GE-Dryer-overheating-DCVH680EJ1WW