Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrfloyd  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2016 12:55:23 PM(UTC)
mrfloyd

Groups: Registered

Have a Samsung RF323TEDBSR/AA fridge with a bottom drawer. One of the worst purchases I've ever made. Have had ice maker problems for quite some time, mostly with the upper ice maker, having to take a hair dryer to it to get it making ice again. Now all the sudden neither the top or bottom ice maker is working. I just put in a brand new one for the bottom, and that doesn't work either. Water flow must be fine as I can get water out of the dispenser at its usual flow rate. I've hit the reset buttons until it chimed, still nothing. Don't know what else to do. This was an expensive fridge and has been a complete disappointment. I'd like to haul it out back and use it for target practice, but I unfortunately don't have money to burn, so if someone can give me any ideas of what to try next to get this thing to make ice, I'm open. And yes, the display is set to make ice, I verified it did not get accidentally turned off. thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2016 8:43:28 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I know very little about Samsung refrigerators.

I do know that there are at least 2 water valves in your refrig. maybe three. You need one for the water and probably one for each icemaker.

You could have bad valves, a bad control board, or lines that are frozen up. That's my best guess.
mrfloyd  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:32:35 PM(UTC)
mrfloyd

Groups: Registered

thx, did not know about the water valves. I'm assuming only a single water line goes into back of fridge, then probably from within it splices into multiples? I suppose I may have to drag it out from its cubby space to take a look, its just a pain to take it out to get behind it. regardless, unless those extra lines are externally accessible, it would be hard to tell if the lines are frozen up. not sure on the location of the valves, either. also, if the valve was bad, would I be getting water from the dispenser? I may have to drag it out and have a look. thank you
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 8:05:49 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Since you are getting water from the water dispenser, that water valve works and you have water up to that point.

Usually the water valves are part of or near the part the house water line connects to. Some manufactures put all of the water valves together and so they have to be replaced at the same time.

Each valve has a solenoid coil and two wires running to it. When the icemaker is making ice, during the harvest cycle, the icemaker will send voltage down to the water valve so that it can refill its ice tray/mold.

Depending on the brand, that voltage could be 120 volts AC or even a lower voltage of AC or DC. The solenoids on the water valves will have markings on them telling what their voltage requirements are.

If the water lines freeze up it will usually be inside the fridge where the water goes into the icemaker tray/mold.

This can happen for a number of reasons. The water valve is leaking a little or the water pressure is too low. There are a bunch more, but the list gets pretty long and hard to follow, not to mention the chances of it occurring get more unlikely.

Just check for frozen tubes and see if you can find a way to force a ice harvest cycle. That way you can see the icemaker go through its cycle and then try filling with water towards the end.