Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
regulator2  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 9:59:30 AM(UTC)
regulator2

Groups: Registered

Can anyone tell me what it means when the bake burner makes a "poof" when turning off? I cannot see the flame because the oven bottom is on, and it is a hidden bake element, but from the little rectangular holes in the oven bottom, it looks like this: (I ma not looking at the flames because I cannot access them, I don't know how to remove the oven bottom and the flame spreader myself, but this is what it looks like when I am looking at the rectangular holes in the oven bottom with the door closed as the oven is on:)

I hear a click as the oven controls tell the bake burner to cycle off when it gets to temperature. The warm yellow/orange glow fades until it is a flickering blue. Then it goes totally out and about a half second later I hear a "poof", and I see a flash of blue. Then it is totally out until the oven cycles back on.

I do not hear the poof upon lighting, just when the bake burner goes off.

Online I can find "a poof sound when your oven lights is normal" but mine does not have the sound on lighting, just on going out.

It is a relatively new GE and converted to propane. The GE tech recently replaced the "regulator valve and lockout" because I was having burner and regulator issues.

Is this poof sound normal? The oven otherwise works fine, and gets to perfect temperature, I just bought an appliance thermometer to check. I just don't want to call for another service call if it's something that is within normal operation, and this I am not sure since I cannot find anything online talking about the poofing when it goes out, just when it lights (which mine does not do.)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

regulator2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 1:38:46 PM(UTC)
regulator2

anyone? Please can you let me know a list of things it could be?
Gene  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:38:02 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Who and how did the conversion? Did the problem start right after it?

Also, the complete model number of the range would help.
regulator2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:16:52 PM(UTC)
regulator2

the appliance store did the LP conversion. The poof did not start like this until after the recent replacement of the regulator and lockout valve (this was in attempt to fix an issue with the burners). It made a small noise before but not like it does now, with the flickering and poof and flash of blue after the bake burner shuts off. I was wondering if maybe when the tech replaced those parts he somehow changed the amount of air getting to the bake burner accidentally? Because if I open the door when it is turning off it turns off fine with no sound or poof or flash, so extra air seems like it helps? I just did not want to have to do yet another service call if this is in the range of normal. The oven still bakes normally, just makes this poof and flash every time the bake burner cycles off. It's loud enough to hear when I am in my kitchen but not loud enough to hear in another room.

Model number is JGS750DEFBB
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:12:48 PM(UTC)
Gene

If he replaced the lockout valve and the gas valve assembly (pressure regulator combined with the gas safety valve) then both the pressure regulator and the safety valve come from the manufacturer set for natural gas. If the surface burners work fine, he probably did convert the pressure regulator but the gas orifice for the bake burner on the gas safety valve should be replaced as well. The gas orifice for LP is marked .047 and has the orange color code.
regulator2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:45:40 PM(UTC)
regulator2

Thank you. Can you tell me where the gas orifice (the LP one that is .047) is located on the safety valve or what it looks like? As luck would have it, I actually kept the old one (not sure why, he left it behind so I put it in my garage.)

If it's on there then I know he did not replace it, but if it's not there I would assume he replaced it. I know he did convert the regulator to LP, we had a conversation about it at the time.

I will have more questions about this later, but I want to try to solve one mystery at a time (the reason he replaced the regulator assembly was to fix two issues that remain the same even after replacement.) But the poof in the bake burner is new so I want to tackle that first.

Is it still OK to use my oven in the meantime if he did not replace the correct LP orifice, until I can get another service call? They are booked out over a week. I don't see any large flames or sooting, (I looked up symptoms of the wrong bake orifice.)
Gene  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 7:00:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

This "poof" can cause the oven door glass to break.

The easiest way to identify the bake burner orifice is to Google it and view pictures.