Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lipskidder  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 1:08:03 PM(UTC)
lipskidder

Groups: Registered

Hi. For a week our stackable dryer (417.94802301) starting up slowly with a whir then tumbled fine. It normally starts right away. Then suddenly it stopped doing anything when twisting the rotary knob. I took it apart thinking it was a thermostat issue (i know, i know, it's when i was reading up on at the time) but realized it wasn't. A few days later (while waiting for the wrong ordered part to arrive) I put the machine back together and to my surprise it started slowly again. I opened the door to try it again and now it's starting immediately again like nothing ever happened. What's going on? haha It's driving me nuts...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

lipskidder  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 8:57:39 PM(UTC)
lipskidder

Help, please? I can't find anything on this kind of situation.
ThatGuy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 11:38:47 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The possibilities I can think of:

The belt is loose and slips. Worn belt, weak idler pulley spring, bent bottom of the dryer.

Motor start switch having problems. Lint built up in actuator, contacts damaged inside, its trying to start on its "run" winding.

Rear bearing, front glides, idler pulley makes drum hard to turn. Causes motor to start slow then overheat.
lipskidder  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 1:50:30 PM(UTC)
lipskidder

Thanks for the response.

The thing is when you start it after a while of non use it has that really slow start. It hums and sounds like it is starting to turn. Sometimes it starts up after a couple of seconds, and sometimes it stops humming and nothing happens. BUT, you wait a minute or two and it starts up immediately like nothing has happened. Also, once it is going and finished a cycle, and you realize your clothes are still damp it starts up immediately. Almost like something was warmed up as opposed to a cold start. I don't get it. The motor works, I mean it's turning and the belt isn't making noise and I just removed the drum and belt to examine behind and everything came of and was replaced as it always was. I always vacuum everything out when I open the machine so lint is minimal if even there. I am stumped.
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2024 12:00:50 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I know this was posted years ago but I have a Kenmore stackable washer & dryer model .# 417.91702000 with the same exact issue. If by chance you happen to see this were you able to fix your unit?

Thanks
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2024 12:03:10 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lipskidder Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the response.

The thing is when you start it after a while of non use it has that really slow start. It hums and sounds like it is starting to turn. Sometimes it starts up after a couple of seconds, and sometimes it stops humming and nothing happens. BUT, you wait a minute or two and it starts up immediately like nothing has happened. Also, once it is going and finished a cycle, and you realize your clothes are still damp it starts up immediately. Almost like something was warmed up as opposed to a cold start. I don't get it. The motor works, I mean it's turning and the belt isn't making noise and I just removed the drum and belt to examine behind and everything came of and was replaced as it always was. I always vacuum everything out when I open the machine so lint is minimal if even there. I am stumped.

I know this was posted years ago but I have a Kenmore stackable washer & dryer model .# 417.91702000 with the same exact issue. If by chance you happen to see this were you able to fix your unit?

Thanks
GovtMule66  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2024 8:01:21 AM(UTC)
GovtMule66

United States

I have a Kenmore stackable washer & dryer model # 417.91702000 which is having the exact same problem as the original poster listed 7 years ago. I'm not sure if they were able to fix their washer & dryer but I am also stumped with this problem.

1) During the first drying cycle of the day my dryer hesitates to start once you twist the start knob. I can't hear any type of humming or buzzing noise like the motor is bad. If the door switch was bad I would think the problem would be there constantly?

2) Once the dryer runs for a short time everything works as it should. I can open to door and restart the dryer with no issue's at all. It is just when the dryer seems to cool off I still have problems.

3) If anybody out there has ever ran into the issue I would appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thanks in advance
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply