Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jrbb1111  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2009 4:11:21 AM(UTC)
jrbb1111

Groups: Registered

I've come to the conclusion that the sporadic issue with the compressor stopping is because the overload is tripping, but why is it tripping?

I notice this because the frig and freezer will start warming up and the condensor fan runs, but the compressor (and thus the evaporator fan) is not running. If it sits for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours then it will start running again, again with the assumption the overload is cooling down enough to reset.

NOTE: I've tested and verified everything else is okay including the defrost timer, defrost heater and thermostat, no icing of evaporator, evap fan works, evaporator gets even coating of frost when running, condensor is clean and fan works. Temperature controls are set at around 4 (1-7 is the scale) for both freezer and frig which keeps both sides plenty cold when working.

The compressor is hot to the touch...I can put my hand on it but it gets uncomfortable after a couple of seconds. Does this sound like it's getting too hot?

The easiest answer is that the overload is getting "weak" and cutting out too soon. If it doesn't completely fail is there anyway to test it to make sure it is still working in the proper range? Should I just change the $10 part?

Could the RTC relay cause this issue?

The factory service manual mentions that a "weak" capacitor can cause the compressor to use more wattage, which I presume could cause more heat build-up in the compressor? Will the normal troubleshooting check for capacitors show me this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.