Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rasenganguy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:43:34 PM(UTC)
Rasenganguy

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I bought a 16 years old house yesterday. Since the first day I am having issues with the refrigerator. It is a side by side refrigerator with a freezer down. Whenever I open any of the side by side doors the whole refrigerator keeps turning on and off right a away until I close the opened door and it stays on. The freezer is working fine no issue. The water dispenser is not working neither. Whenever I push the button there is no water coming out. I changed the water filter but still nothing. Any idea why it keeps going on and off whenever I open the door?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:00:37 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Can we start with the full model number of the unit? I'd like to see what controls it has. Also, when you say the whole unit shuts off when you open the door, do you mean the compressor, fans, lights, everything?
Rasenganguy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:53:05 AM(UTC)
Rasenganguy

Sorry I should have send this information first. I was busy with the furnace going down on me too ....
The model number is GE Profile PFSF5RKZA. Yes everything shut down like if I took out the power plug. It shut of for less than a second, turn on for like one second and shut off again and turn on and keeps doing that until the door is closed. I set the temperature to 0 / 37 and it goes to that level which means it is working fine. It is just the door when it opens the fridge keeps turning on and off. The water dispenser does not dispense anything except few drops from time to time and the ice there is no ice. Sometimes when I try to dispense ice the refrigerator shut down and start again same as the open door behavior. Any idea?
cbmserviceguy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:51:48 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Sounds like a short. Under the hinge cover is a plug that connects the door electronics to the main cabinet. I'd start with looking at that plug and wiring and making sure everything is tight and not worn. From there, I would manually push the door buttons to make it think the door is closed even when it's open and see if it works. Give those a go and let me know what turns up. Sorry about your luck with the furnace too!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply