Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shopgirloh  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 4:15:57 AM(UTC)
shopgirloh

Groups: Registered

This unit is 5 years old this month. Two years after purchase it began leaking water from the bottom front, randomly, I never had it repaired. A week ago I noticed the ice maker wasn't making any ice. Within a couple days I discovered my food was starting to thaw in the freezer and the refrigerator was not as cold. I noticed through the vent in the back of freezer there was ice on the bottom coil. Due to the generous information provided in this forum I cleaned the coils, forced hot water through drain hole, checked vents between both sides for no obstructions, removed back cover, felt and heard compressor kick on and continue running, evaporator fan is running. I removed the back panel from inside freezer, fan is running. What I discovered is the line coming from the back of the freezer into the thermostat and then to the coils is heavily frosted across the top coil, all the way down the right side coil, across the bottom coil, but when it goes up to the next coil there is no frost anywhere on the rest of the coils. Basically just the top coil, side and bottom coil has frost. Any help would be truly appreciated. Kenmore model 106.51103110
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cbmserviceguy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:12:28 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

Bad news hoss. Has a sealed system issue. Either a leak and low or is restricted somewhere. Time for a new frig. Sorry for the downer!
shopgirloh  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:01:58 AM(UTC)
shopgirloh

Thank you for your time and response. That is what I feared was wrong but you also answered my next question whether it would be worth fixing. I have another Kenmore side by side in the garage that is about 25 years old with no problems, was hoping I could count on this one to last that long.
cbmserviceguy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:52:36 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

People always look at me like I have 3 heads when I'm there 10 minutes, look at the frost pattern, ask a couple questions and tell them they need a new frig. Kenmore is made by whirlpool, but owned by sears. So if that's the brand you like, a whirlpool is exactly the same thing. Happy hunting and sorry for the downer again!
shopgirloh  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:38:57 AM(UTC)
shopgirloh

Not sure if I would want another whirlpool since this one only lasted 5 years almost to the day. Would the random water leaking out the front (drain pan problem I think) have contributed to this leak problem? Do you prefer a specific brand over others? Thanks again.
cbmserviceguy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:48:15 AM(UTC)
cbmserviceguy

I personally have a Frigidaire Gallery french door bottom mount. I bought it in 2009 and had to put a new control board in it last year. I have been generally satisfied with it. As for the leak, that's as simple as the drain got clogged. Thawing the drain and blowing out the dust or whatever was clogging it would have solved that issue and I doubt it contributed to the coolant leak. All of them have problems from time to time. Nothing is bulletproof anymore. In my opinion, Frigidaire and GE are the easiest to work on and get parts for.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply