Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
troginka  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:59:26 AM(UTC)
troginka

Groups: Registered

Hi!
I recently moved into a property that had a GE washing machine. It seemed to work OK but was pretty dirty inside. In order to clean it I decided to take out the basket as it looked dirty on the inside of the tub as well. One thing I noticed immediately after taking off the cover were the broken dampening straps. I ordered replacements. Then I proceeded to remove the basket. I was slowed down until I obtained a spanner wrench. That nut was tough to remove! With the basket out I was able to scrub and clean both, it and the tub. I installed the new dampening straps and put everything back together. I ran the washer once with no clothes and it seemed fine. Then I washed some clothes. On the second load it started to make a banging noise but on the third one it sounded like there was something seriously wrong with it. It turned out the basket came loose and when it was spinning the whole tub moved violently inside the washer. I was sure I tightened that nut pretty well! I decided to replace the nut. I also got some other parts: the basket mounting hub (it looked nasty and would be too much to clean), the split ring and the four suspension rods. After replacing them it was time to try it out. It did three or four loads OK and then it started to make a loud noise when agitating. I took the front cover off and I noticed the basket was spinning left and right a lot more than it should have. Upon quick inspection it turned out the new dampening straps were broken. The two front ones.

So after this long winded post comes my question as I would like to prevent it from happening again: what would cause the new dampening straps to break? I may be wrong here but I'm thinking the violent shaking when the basket came loose had something to do with it. But it seemed OK for a while. Maybe that just weakened them and eventually they gave out? So I have to replace them but did anybody have them break like that? Maybe they were of poor quality? Also, are those straps and the suspension rods the only things that hold up the tub assembly (including the motor and counterweight)?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.
troginka attached the following image(s):
Front left broken strap.JPG
Front right broken strap.JPG
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.