Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
saLLy59  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:55:20 PM(UTC)
saLLy59

Groups: Registered

I like this dishwasher because it is quiet, so I would like to fix it. a few days ago the Start button stopped working. based on a lot of other threads and 3 days searching this is what I have tried. and, other symtoms and facts mixed in: unplugged it for a long while - no change. The Cancel/Drain button will work and pump water out, so I assume that the door switch works? please tell me if this is a bad assumption. No matter which of the cycles I select - Heavy, Normal, Light, or Rinse Only, the start button will not make any of them start. I cant seem to get the diagnostics mode to work by pressing Hi-Temp, Energy Saver Dry 2 times. some Led buttons seem to light up fine, make a nice clicking noise when pressed, but others don't light up. clicking noise seems the same. there are not cracks on the front. the Heavy, Normal and Light turn on - the Rinse Only does not. OPtions: the Hi-Temp Scrub LED does not turn on when either Heavy or Normal cycle are selected. The Energy Save Dry LED will turn on. The Delay hours will cycle through each option. I can not get the control Lock to engage.
So, and please don't laugh at my inexperience, here is how I tried to test it based on forum advice. I took the front panel off, disconnected the end of the ribbon that connects to the computer board and tried to test it with a multi-meter (digital). problem is, I was not sure where to put the probes. I finally tried putting them on the metal part that sticks thru part of the end of the ribbon. so, I am connecting, say P1-11 to P1-4 on the part of the ribbon connector that I would call the female part. the ribbon is disconnected from the computer board - I would call the part on the computer board the male part. am I testing the right part? it seemed impossible to steady the probes on the pins (the part I am calling male) that are on the board. and, I could not get the probes into the little holes on the end of the ribbon. heck, im old, I could barely see into them! but, as I said, I little bit of the metal shows through the plastic, so I used that part. then, somehow I pressed the button (normal etc.) with one of my other fingers. all combo's read the same - the meter stayed on 1. then, I switched to meter to the diode thing. all combo's read between .8 and 1.2. So, if some LED work and some don't, I don't understand why all the readings are essentially the same. and, I really don't know if I am testing this correctly. the wiring diagram is NOT anywhere on the dishwasher. I am using info on the diag/tech guide from another posting, so don't know if it is correct. Kithenaid cant/wont provide me with a wiring diagram.
so, my basic question is, is it the keypad/control panel that is part 8270228 that is bad? and/or how to I test this for sure. is it the keypad or the control board that tells the keypad to light the LEDs? any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated - it will make my week/month/year! please help if you can or tell me how I can explain it better. thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.