Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coollx  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 4:51:01 AM(UTC)
coollx

Groups: Registered

My daughter has an older GE dryer that works fine but makes an intermittent squeak/squealing sound that I'm trying to isolate so I can repair it.

Its intermittent in that it doesn't do it all the time and when it does its not constant but sounds like the noise appears in a certain part of the drums rotation.

Based on a search of the archives on this site it would appear to be either the bearing slides or the rear drum bearing but obviously I'm not certain.

So, I'm wondering if there is a way to determine what part or parts need to be replaced to eliminate the noise?

I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

hamish05064  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2016 1:22:18 AM(UTC)
hamish05064

Cant exactly suggest the parts that are to be replaced since i need the images of it to see and decide what is wrong there
thorning  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 4:01:42 PM(UTC)
thorning

You may have already found the problem area but if it is a squeaking or squealing sound it have be due to the front glides being extremely worn and the plastic support that they ride in/on is partially destroyed. Also the rear bearing is running dry or it also is worn out. If the front glide area is the wear area the drum may be rubbing on on the blower housing or the side panels. GE dryers are prone to wear in the front glide areas. You will have to take the front cover off as a minimum to determine the cause.. If you dont have experience on a GE dryer be aware that it is somewhat difficult to get the belt off to get the drum out. I just did one today and it is a difficult job since the belt on most GE dryers is a blind assembly procedure with very little room for your hands..
Appliance Medics  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:31:21 PM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

GE makes a kit with the bearing, glides, belt, and felt seal... we19m1490 is the part number. It fixes MOST GE dryers. Check with your model to make sure it's the right kit
Appliance Medics  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:08:47 AM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

Gave you wrong part number sorry it's WE49X20697