Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Softballfan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:45:41 PM(UTC)
Softballfan

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Gemini Electric double oven. The lower oven will only heat to about 230 degrees +/- and takes an hour to get there. The Broiler element works fine. The temperature sensor seems to be working, that is why I know it is only around 230 degrees. There are no signs of damage on the lower bake element, and the wire connections on the back side of it are tight. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Medics  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:52:07 PM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

Definitely going to need to check continuity on the bake element. Just to make sure it is indeed good. I would also check to make sure you are receiving a full 240 volts to said element. Lastly if those two check well you may be looking at an out of range oven sensor or possibly a bad main control. All of which can cause similar issues.
Softballfan  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 1:57:21 PM(UTC)
Softballfan

The top oven and stove top are working fine which leads me to believe I am getting proper power. Any quick checks I can do for the element and or sensor?
Appliance Medics  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:07:02 PM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

Check continuity on the bake element should be somewhere between 10-30 ohms. Check to make sure you have 240 volts at the bake element when on. For the sensor... they can be difficult depends on the temperature how many ohms you should recieve. There isn't much of a generic test because they differ greatly between makes, and brands. You could always buy a new sensor and compare readings or just replace it as it is much cheaper than the main control for your unit. Lastly when all else fails or you do not want to gamble on buying a sensor... call a professional to come out and diagnose the machine. I hope some of this was at least a little helpful
Softballfan  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:23:40 PM(UTC)
Softballfan

I checked ohms and do have continuity (22), I will learn how to check my voltage next. Can I just touch each wire with the probes feeding the element. When I have the oven plugged in and lower oven turned on. Will that give me an accurate reading?
Appliance Medics  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:25:01 PM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

Ideally you would like to have one terminal off of the element when testing in case you do not have 240 volts you can see what voltage you are receiving from each side of the circuit. This can be pretty dangerous to attempt as 240 volts and the high amp draw can be fatal. If you've never tested something like this or had anY experience I would recommend a professional to do so.
Softballfan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 5:27:52 PM(UTC)
Softballfan

Thanks for your help. I was able to confirm I was not getting power to the element. I followed the wires up to the control panel and also read the single line diagram. I inserted my probes there with no luck. I then checked my connections at my upper oven element and read my voltage there. So now I know that it is most likely a problem with my control panel. Unless a probe or sensor could control that output.
Appliance Medics  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 5:42:06 PM(UTC)
Appliance Medics

It definitely sounds like a control issue sensor will register the temp on display if its still lower than what you set it for the control should still be calling for voltage to the bake element. Glad i could help!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply