Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zenworm  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:31:29 AM(UTC)
zenworm

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone!

I've searched around for this particular sound but couldn't quite find it... here's a video so you can hear what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...448&feature=youtu.be

This loud whirring sound starts shortly after starting the dishwasher, so my guess is it's the inlet valve, but any guidance would be appreciated.

We've tried:

• Disassembling and cleaning the bottom parts, including making sure the impeller was clean
  • Checking underneath for any kinks, making sure everything is tight
  • Filling up the washer with about 2 quarts of water before starting it

There does appear to be rust underneath the drain pump and a spot on the floor where it had been dripping, but I think that's probably unrelated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

zenworm  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:31:21 AM(UTC)
zenworm

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
[COLOR="Blue"]This loud whirring sound starts shortly after starting the dishwasher, so my guess is it's the inlet valve, but any guidance would be appreciated.[/COLOR]
I am not sure why you feel it is the inlet valve as that just opens for about a minute at the start of the cycle and then later depending on the cycle type and then at the start of rinse.

Is the unit filling with water?
Are the dishes getting clean?

I could not tell from the video if water was being sloshed around.

If it is then it sounds to me like a motor bearing is starting to fail.

Thanks Denman! Good call about the inlet valve, didn't know it was only a short operation.

Dishes seem to be getting clean, although we do pre-wash. I opened the door really early on at one point and everything was definitely wet, although I haven't opened later in the cycle to make sure it's full of water.
zenworm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:35:36 PM(UTC)
zenworm

I replaced the motor because I was pretty sure that was the issue, but it turns out it wasn't!

Here's a video so you can hear the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...fDY&feature=youtu.be

The sound is just slightly higher-pitched in real life compared to the video.

Since it wasn't the motor, anyone have any ideas what it could be? It happens approx. 30 seconds after I start the unit, maybe RIGHT before the wash cycle actually starts. The unit is filling up with water on its own.

The sound kicks back in about halfway through the entire cycle, but only VERY briefly.

Thanks in advance!
zenworm  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 1:43:58 PM(UTC)
zenworm

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
What is the model number?
Find your model number - AppliancePartsPros.com

The only things that move in the unit is the wash pump which you have replaced and the drain pump and a fan if the unit gah one.

I am stumped as to what it could be.

With luck someone else will jump in who has heard this exact sound.

You may want to try a post on the following forum.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/

Thanks denman!

Our model # is FFBD2406NS0A.. I'm still searching but I can't find a definitive answer on whether or not it has a fan unit.

I posted on the other forum, I'll try some others as well.

Thanks again!
zenworm  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 2:00:23 PM(UTC)
zenworm

Just an update on this... we have replaced the circulation motor and the water inlet valve, but the noise is still happening. I think I'm beyond the point of calling a professional but at this point I'm thinking of trying to replace the drain pump because I'm running out of things it could be.

Does anyone happen to have any more thoughts on this noise if it's not the main motor or the water inlet valve? Would the drain pump be the likely next step, or could it be something else?

Thanks!