Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MsPord  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 4:08:28 PM(UTC)
MsPord

Groups: Registered

My Gallery Frigidaire FGHG2366PF (French Door/bottom freezer with ice maker, counter-depth) is making clicking sounds more than usual. I've had it for one year, and I have not heard the frequency of clicks that I hear now.

Clicks sound like a switch turning off and on multiple times in a minute for several minutes at a time. There was a day where it clicked off/on all day. Tonight, its clicking multiple times in a minute for about 10 minutes and has now stopped. When moving the refrigerator out to the middle of the room, it seems to stop the clicking. The fridge is normally surrounded on 2 sides, with more than 2" of air flow on each side and top. Given that I didn't hear this behavior in the first year, I'm doubt its a air circulation issue.

The sound seems to be coming from the lower left, front corner (when facing the fridge). When I look at the schematic in the manual, that item is labelled the "Electronic control & Automatic Defrost Control."

The freezer is set at 0 and measures 0 degrees F.
The refrigerator is set at 37 and measures at 41, so it seems to be running slightly warm.

The ice maker is turned off. Any guidance on how to troubleshoot or diagnose would be helpful and appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

1976rph  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:33:38 PM(UTC)
1976rph

I have the same model, purchased June 2015. It has just started making the same noise. I have turned it off and on - no change. Otherwise, it seems to be functioning OK. Do you have anything to add now to this issue?
Thanks.
srabinovitch  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:12:46 PM(UTC)
srabinovitch

Same model, same problem for me. I had warranty service that took care of it for long enough for the warranty to expire, and now it's back again. When I called the repair place back they said it was the main power board (again), which would make me very unlucky to get two bad boards, or there are a lot of bad boards, or they gave me bad information on the cause. Another appliance repair guy who came in for a different appliance said it was a normal sound for these fridges, which doesn't seem right either. It did go away for a couple weeks (after coming back post-repair), but it's back now for at least a couple hours every evening (after we've been in and out of it... a clue?). Debating whether to spend the money for repair - it could signal imminent failure or nothing, but it is annoying.
1976rph  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:59:17 PM(UTC)
1976rph

The repairman told me to unplug the refrigerator, wait 10 minutes, then plug it back in. The problem disappeared, but I had him replace the power board anyway prior to the expiration of the warranty. He pointed out that the unit would not be reset just by turning the refrigerator off then on. Unplugging it was the key.
srabinovitch  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2016 3:47:44 AM(UTC)
srabinovitch

Thank you! I will try that.

Update: no luck. Ticking started again as soon as plugged in again.
Garettc81  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 5:09:28 PM(UTC)
Garettc81

Any update on this? I have same fridge, same clicking noise in the same spot. Driving me nuts.
srabinovitch  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 5:32:37 PM(UTC)
srabinovitch

Originally Posted by: Garettc81 Go to Quoted Post
Any update on this? I have same fridge, same clicking noise in the same spot. Driving me nuts.

It just went away after a week or so, and every few months it starts again and goes a few days. :confused:
Garettc81  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:28:31 AM(UTC)
Garettc81

Originally Posted by: srabinovitch Go to Quoted Post
It just went away after a week or so, and every few months it starts again and goes a few days. :confused:

I've tried a few things - cleaned the coils in the back, took all the food out and fully defrosted for several days, pulled out the control board to see if anything is burnt out, changed the water and air filter as we've never done that in 3 years, etc. but no real change. It goes off and on repeatedly for a few hours, stops, then back, then away for a few days (100% from the electronic control and auto defrost). I think the seal on the freezer itself is crap so that's part of the problem - warm air getting in, frost forming - but that must be only part of the issue, pretty sure it's done the clicking even when everything has been properly sealed.

Not really worth the $hundreds required to fix by a maintenance person, I just hope we don't come home one day to a busted freezer that has ruined all the food and leaked all over our hardwood. Was hoping I could find a fix online but it appears there are multiple problems with this model and it could be one of numerous things.
srabinovitch  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:35:27 AM(UTC)
srabinovitch

Yep, I tried (most of) those things too, and I agree the seal may be the culprit - it doesn't feel super tight, rubber is a little stiff... I try to think of the episodic ticking as a reminder to give the freezer a once-over, clear out old stuff, wipe it down... and try not to feel defeated.

Question: do you have the ice maker turned on? I don't (water supply isn't even hooked up, and I keep the switch for it up/off) - sometimes I wonder if it occasionally tries pumping water and that's the ticking.
Garettc81  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 19, 2017 6:00:34 AM(UTC)
Garettc81

Originally Posted by: srabinovitch Go to Quoted Post

Question: do you have the ice maker turned on? I don't (water supply isn't even hooked up, and I keep the switch for it up/off) - sometimes I wonder if it occasionally tries pumping water and that's the ticking.

Thanks for the response, at least I know there are others having these same exact issues and there is no one magic fix for it.

I have the ice maker on and off - it doesn't seem to impact the clicking noise. It makes other noises, but those are separate from the incessant clicking.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply