Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rock324  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 12:05:58 PM(UTC)
rock324

Groups: Registered

I have a GE washer (model #GTWN8250DWS) and it recently started making loud grinding noises when during agitation and when the machine is balancing the load during fill up. Basically, when the basket moves around/side to side, it makes a loud noise. How can I go about fixing this? BTW, I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff so I have never taken apart a washer. I appreciate any help!
Cheers
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 2:00:46 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rock324 Go to Quoted Post
I have a GE washer (model #GTWN8250DWS) and it recently started making loud grinding noises when during agitation and when the machine is balancing the load during fill up. Basically, when the basket moves around/side to side, it makes a loud noise. How can I go about fixing this? BTW, I'm a rookie when it comes to this stuff so I have never taken apart a washer. I appreciate any help!
Cheers

Rock, Sounds like the problem is in the "mode shifter" portion of the drive system. The mode shifter determines whether the agitate or spin cycle will operate. It is a combination of cams,gears and springs that have to "mesh" in order to drive the tub. We are unable to supply the information you'll need to access and check/repair the component on this forum. If you would be so kind as to re post a question and the information on the AppliancePartsPros.com web site parts in the Q&A portion of the screen, we'll try to get and send the information you need. Thanks,
rock324  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 3:01:40 PM(UTC)
rock324

Thanks, I will do that. I took another look at the washer. If I just move the tub with my hand, it makes a loud creaking noise. Any clue what that could be?
rock324  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 6:57:01 PM(UTC)
rock324

Also, I'm not where to post the question? I do not see the Q/A portion on the parts page?
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 5:37:19 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: rock324 Go to Quoted Post
Also, I'm not where to post the question? I do not see the Q/A portion on the parts page?

Rock, The creaking noise could still be due to the mode shifter or possibly another component od the shifter assembly. We'll have to see once you get the washer dismantled and checked. To get to the Q&A portion of the web site. Once you're in the web site parts order screen, enter the part number [AP5793710], when you click the search box, the program will display the part information. Scroll the page down, approximately half way, to the blue banner "Have a Repair Question ?" Just below the banner to the right side is an orange box labeled "Ask A Question", clock on the box, input all the appropriate information, and a short description of the problem, then click the orange "Ask a Question" banner.
When we receive and answer your question, you'll receive a notification e mail, which will contain any information you've requested and any information we need to supply in order for you to repair your machine.
barnesrph  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:59:48 AM(UTC)
barnesrph

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Rock, The creaking noise could still be due to the mode shifter or possibly another component od the shifter assembly. We'll have to see once you get the washer dismantled and checked. To get to the Q&A portion of the web site. Once you're in the web site parts order screen, enter the part number [AP5793710], when you click the search box, the program will display the part information. Scroll the page down, approximately half way, to the blue banner "Have a Repair Question ?" Just below the banner to the right side is an orange box labeled "Ask A Question", clock on the box, input all the appropriate information, and a short description of the problem, then click the orange "Ask a Question" banner.
When we receive and answer your question, you'll receive a notification e mail, which will contain any information you've requested and any information we need to supply in order for you to repair your machine.

I had the same issue, the GE repair guy came out and too the basket out and there were several coins / paperclips under the basket. He cleaned it out and all is well. I'm having the same problem again, but didn't see how he removed it, does anyone know how to take out the basket so I can take a look to see if it's just more coins in there or if I need a service call?
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:41:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: barnesrph Go to Quoted Post
I had the same issue, the GE repair guy came out and too the basket out and there were several coins / paperclips under the basket. He cleaned it out and all is well. I'm having the same problem again, but didn't see how he removed it, does anyone know how to take out the basket so I can take a look to see if it's just more coins in there or if I need a service call?

Barnesrph, the attached file should have the information you need to remove the impeller and tub to check for the coins in the tub. Since you've had this issue before, you may want to start checking the pockets of the pants and shirts when you're loading the washer with clothes. Something may get "stuck" and create bigger problems.
File Attachment(s):
Binder1.pdf (1,217kb) downloaded 58 time(s).
barnesrph  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:18:12 AM(UTC)
barnesrph

Wow, thank you! In less than 10 minutes it was all done, I found 27 cents and what looked like is was a some point an earring. I appreciate it.
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:34:30 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: barnesrph Go to Quoted Post
Wow, thank you! In less than 10 minutes it was all done, I found 27 cents and what looked like is was a some point an earring. I appreciate it.

Barnesrph, You're Welcome !!! Check those pockets ... Good Luck,
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply