Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nealu  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:32:45 AM(UTC)
Nealu

Groups: Registered

Noticed that food was not cooking properly such as cookies taking much longer to bake. Checked temperature with two fairly accurate thermometers and found that the oven reached the correct temperature but the temperature drops about 50°-60° after reaching the correct temperature. If I set the oven for 350°, and wait about 20 minutes, the temperature has dropped about 30°. If I then reset the oven to 350 again, the element will not turn on. If I cancel and set the oven for 355° it will start to preheat and then show the temperature at around 310°. This seems like a enormous temperature range that can't be correct. I noticed others have similar problems without a solution. I have replaced the sensor with no change. Is this a control panel problem or is there a relay malfunctioning? Or is this normal behavior?

Thanks
Neal
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:54:30 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Jenn-Air JES9800BAB Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

Yes it does sound like a control board problem.

[COLOR="Blue"]If I cancel and set the oven for 355° it will start to preheat and then show the temperature at around 310°. This seems like a enormous temperature range that can't be correct.[/COLOR]
When you did the above you confirmed that the oven knows that the temperature is too low but for some reason is not turning the elements on to raise it.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is this a control panel problem or is there a relay malfunctioning?[/COLOR]
The relays are on the control board/timer.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Or is this normal behavior?[/COLOR]
Seems like too big of a temperature swing to me.

I would check that the oven vent is clear.
Note that some vents have a filter like material in them and that could get clogged up over time.
The operators manual says:
"Important: The oven vent is located under the right side of
the air grille. When using or cleaning the oven, hot and
moist air may be noticed in this area. The area near the vent
may become hot enough to cause burns. Be careful not to
spill anything into this vent. The air grille must be
removed before the self-clean cycle."
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Nealu  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:41:21 AM(UTC)
Nealu

Thanks for confirming my findings. Vent is clear. Strange thing is that I tried a similar test for the temperature drop using the convection feature of the oven. Temperature held fine. Unfortunately,the control board is over $300 so I might start to use the convection feature for all my cooking needs.

I've read that several people have had problems like this start after the oven was run through a cleaning cycle. I think my oven problems started the same way. Perhaps the control board was overheated and caused a component failure.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 11:33:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Does it take longer in preheat to reach the set point temperature?

If yes then you may just have a bad element.

In preheat you should see it switch back and forth between the elements.

I am not 100% sure about this but if it does not switch back and forth then the both should be on.
Nealu  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 12:39:32 PM(UTC)
Nealu

This oven is really a mystery. I don't know what you mean by both elements. Baking is done with only the bottom element. Broil with the top element works fine. I previously removed the bottom element to check its connection and it was fine.

Another experiment with a interesting result. I tried this twice with the same results. If I preheat the oven using the convection function, the oven heats up fine and the preheat message turns off when it hits the proper temperature. If I then turn off the convection setting and switch to the conventional oven, the oven holds its temperature fine. I guess I'll just have to use this technique every time I'm baking. Very strange.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 12:49:54 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Baking is done with only the bottom element.[/COLOR]
No at least I am 99% sure that it is no.
During bake most units switch back and forth between the two elements.
This provides a more even temperature profile in the oven.
If only the bottom element is used then a cake will be burned on the bottom, cooked OK on the sides and hardly cooked on the top. The center will not bake correctly because it gets no heat from the top.
If just the broil element is on then the top burns.

The convection works because it's fan circulates the hot air around whatever is cooking.

Note I have never seen a unit that only uses the bake element during bake.
Nealu  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 3:17:42 AM(UTC)
Nealu

I checked to see if the top element cycles with the bottom element while baking and it does not. Only the bottom element comes on. Also,the top element does not come on during preheating.The broil function works fine with the top element. I'll have to investigate this farther to see what's going on. I'll give a call to Jenn Aire.

Thanks for your input.

Neal

I just Googled the question about the top element being used during baking and I could not find one response that stated the top element is used during baking. Some ovens use the top element for preheating but then switch to using only the bottom element during baking.
denman  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 7:13:12 AM(UTC)
denman

See the attachment for a page from a service manual which covers this unit.
It shows that the bake and broil elements cycle when in bake and bake pre-heat.
Nealu  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 12:52:11 PM(UTC)
Nealu

This is really getting strange. I just was on a chat with Jenn air customer service and they said the top element does not come on during preheat or bake. Your chart clearly shows it does. I have never seen the top element turn on during preheat of bake even when the oven was new. I guess I'll just try to cook mostly convection from now on and if I need to use the conventional oven, I'll preheat with the convection and then switch over to the conventional.

Thank you for your help.
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 1:25:28 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nealu Go to Quoted Post
This is really getting strange. I just was on a chat with Jenn air customer service and they said the top element does not come on during preheat or bake. Your chart clearly shows it does. I have never seen the top element turn on during preheat of bake even when the oven was new. I guess I'll just try to cook mostly convection from now on and if I need to use the conventional oven, I'll preheat with the convection and then switch over to the conventional.

Thank you for your help.

Nealu, Denman is correct, the broil element does cycle off and on in the pre heat and bake cycle, but it's only at 10 to 20 % of the cycle(you wont see it glow red, like the bake element).Start by checking/replacing the oven temp. sensor. They can loose calibration after years of service or after a self clean cycle.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply