Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snakestu  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 5:58:30 PM(UTC)
snakestu

Groups: Registered

Our GE Profile Arctica (PSS25MGMAWW) side-by-side has stopped all cooling (fridge and freezer), allowing everything to warm up and leading to food loss. This is not the first time and in the past it would come back to life, so to speak, but now it won't. I don't know what part is failing that would act like this.

This first happened in October or so. By sheer coincidence, I found that it went "back to normal" after sitting overnight turned off (not unplugged, but flashing-zeroes). A couple weeks later, shortly before Thanksgiving, it happened again. I turned it off, left it off for a couple hours, and then when I turned it back on, "back to normal" again. (Obviously not really normal since none of this would normally happen.) Luckily, it behaved itself through the holidays.

When it's not cooling, it sounds like it's running but not with the full loudness of when it's really running. There is no clicking or other sounds of failure per se, but a couple different levels of fan-like or motor-like sounds are all we get.

When it happened again last night I'd hoped to get it to come back to life by leaving it off, but it's not doing that. I don't really know if sitting in the "off" state was really a factor before or if that was just a coincidence.

Some reading I did online implied that it might be related to the defrost cycle getting stuck in the no-cooling mode, and I think(?) that parts for that might be something I could replace (but I'm no electrician or appliance tech). On the other hand, I don't want to order parts for a fridge that is actually dead and I need to give up on.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated. Right now we're pretending we're camping. Luckily we bought a small chest freezer after the first failure and we're using that, "blue ice," and a large cooler to get by for now, but clearly this is not effective for the long term.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:06:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for GE PSS25MGMAWW Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

I am assuming that you get no cooling at all>
If this is not correct what are the freezer and frewsh food temperatures.

You have to check a few things.
Is the evaporator/freezer fan running?
Is the condenser/compressor fan running?
Is the compressor running? You can usually hear it but also should be able to feel it vibrating.

If the above 3 parts are running and there is no cooling then it is a sealed system problem and probably not worth fixing due to the cost.

Note that GE uses good compressors but there electronics stink.
Your description of the unit resetting after unplugging the unit does point to an electronics problem.

Also check that the condenser coils and front/rear vents are clean.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
snakestu  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 3:06:14 PM(UTC)
snakestu

Thanks for the input. I'll look into how to verify those things are working or not. I suspect the compressor is not running, though, due to absence of vibration.

Just to clarify, I had not tried unplugging it, just turning the cooling completely off (to get the flashing-zeroes display on the fridge/freezer temperature settings). I did try unplugging it this time, and left it unplugged for 30 seconds or so -- an old habit for rebooting other electronics -- but that seemed to have no effect.

Right now it's just a large, 400-pound water filter (the water line filter being rather expensive and something we just replaced, natch). I assume that if it truly is the compressor that has failed, "big water filter" is all this appliance will be until I find a way to get rid of it, since the compressor kit has been discontinued and is no longer available. {sigh}
snakestu  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 31, 2016 1:01:04 PM(UTC)
snakestu

Finally had time to look up how to check the fans (thanks to videos here showing how to replace the motors), and both of those are working fine. The compressor did not seem to be running, however. I touched it while the unit was on and should have been cooling and there was no vibration.

Would a failing run capacitor exhibit intermittent "life" as it was dying? This is probably wishful thinking, but it's a relatively cheap part and an easy one to replace. I might just order one and try it, but if it definitely doesn't make sense I'd rather avoid that expense.
denman  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 6:56:51 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
II guess just about anything is possible but I dougt it is the capacitor,.
Note that I have been wrong in the past.

Can you check to see if the compressor is getting 120 volts.
if it is and it does not run it is toast.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
snakestu  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2016 3:57:08 PM(UTC)
snakestu

My technical skills (and tools) for appliances are pretty limited. If it was a computer I'd be better off! (Then again, this does have a motherboard... hmm...) Anyway, I appreciate your input on this!
snakestu  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 2:55:24 PM(UTC)
snakestu

Just to follow up (for future reference), replacing the run capacitor had no apparent effect.