Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alienc  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 8:21:08 AM(UTC)
alienc

Groups: Registered

I bought it used 6 years ago so I honestly have no idea how old it is.

Looks like it's from the Late 80's Early 90's judging by the color of the top dials sections of the unit (the rest is the typical white).

Anyways I have an issue with the Drum not being level when empty. Basically it leans toward the front of the washer and although it is able to function the Spin cycle is almost unusable due to the drum banging around. You have to keep opening the door and slow it down and then close it again until it starts banging around aging.

From what I read on here it might be springs or something that hold the drum straight that has broken or some loose.

Debating trying to fix this or just buy a new one. Don't really want to pay someone to come repair it for a few hundred and later have something else fail on it.

I wouldn't object to taking it apart and fixing it myself if I knew what I was looking for.

I tried to lookup the service manual and also to look for parts as well but couldn't find the model #.

This is a Canadian model so possibly there is a US Version of the same Washer with a different model #.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2007 2:06:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Looks like the problem and the solution for it has been described in the Maytag technical bulletin.
See the attachment.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Washers - wash basket leans on one side.pdf (284kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
alienc  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 5:58:29 PM(UTC)
alienc

Well in the end after tipping it over and checking the rusty underneath it ended up being a spring that goes from the frame that holds the tub/motor in place having rusted through.

Basically I just drilled a new hole just below the rusted out one and re-attached the spring. It actually seems to work better now than before the initial problem.

Surprised that it wasn't a belt drive motor as I only saw the motor that looked to be directly attached (unless the belt is well hidden).

Could not figure out how to get the top off (didn't need to in the end). It almost looks like you need to have a screwdriver long enough to go from the bottom of the washer up to the top to get the top piece off.

I will have to go down a take a picture of it just for reference. There were 3 big springs around the base and then this other spring that was different from the other three and attached directly to the frame of the washer.
alienc attached the following image(s):
SpringFix.jpg
TopScrews.JPG
MainSpringsOneof3.jpg
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 6:05:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
alienc  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2007 6:20:29 PM(UTC)
alienc

I usually don't have much luck fixing things unless it is a computer.

It would help if I could locate some kind of service manual for it, but I imagine it's too old to find one easily.

Would rather keep this one running than buy a new one. My parents have a Kenmore Washer and they have had the gears replaced 3 times already in the same time I bought this one used (6 years). The newer machines don't seem to be as well put together anymore.

This is the first problem I have had with mine.
alienc  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:37:35 AM(UTC)
alienc

The proper term for the part that was disconnected is the centering spring.

Just in case someone if having the same issue and theirs is broken and they need to buy a new one.

The cabinet on mine will probably rust out completely before the spring breaks.
alienc  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 3:31:55 PM(UTC)
alienc

Just replying to my own post here, to provide some additional information if you find this on Google or scanning the forum here.

Almost 3 years ago, I repaired the centering spring by drilling a hole in the chassis to replace the previous hold that had rusted through.

This weekend the spring itself (the part near the bottom where I drilled the hole) broke and I had to get a replacement.

Anyways here is all you need to have to get the replacement part. Many washer use the exact same part and I was told it's a common part that breaks as when you have an unbalanced load with a washer that doesn't have an auto-shutoff it inevitably breaks the spring over time.

Whirlpool P/N W10250667
Package I have reads : 388492 SPRING AW

I guess if a part has to go this one is as easy as they come to replace, remove old spring, attach new one at the top and take a pair of plyers and pull down the other side and hook into hole at bottom.

I said 3 years ago that if my original fix lasted a year I would be happy, now 3 years later it's still going. It's so rusted out now that the body of the washer has seperated from the frame in one corner and without any clothes in it you can rock the frame without moving the rest of the washer.

Still work's great though. I don't think they make washers this tough anymore!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply