Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nmnative71  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2015 10:49:10 AM(UTC)
nmnative71

Groups: Registered

I have whirlpool top freezer, bottom fridge appliance that is approximately 8 years old. I'm not sure of the model, but can get that info. The fridge compartment is cool but not cold enough and the freezer is not as cold as it has been. I can see the fan turning at the back of the freezer but I can't hear or feel any cold air being blow out from the back of the freezer. Is there a fan that can go out other than the one I can see?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CletusT  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:53:46 PM(UTC)
CletusT

that is the evaporator fan. The evaporator coils may be iced over, preventing air flow to the refrigerator compartment.
If these coils are iced over, it may need a new defrost thermostat.
denman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:21:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Need a model number for any info specific to this unit.

Many units also have a fan by the compressor but this cools the compressor and the condenser coils.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nmnative71  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 6:29:48 AM(UTC)
nmnative71

I have the model number ET1CHEXVB01.
There does seem to be some frost build up on the back wall, but I can't find the place where I can put it into defrost manually to test the timer.
CletusT  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:17:16 AM(UTC)
CletusT

You shouldn't see much frost on the wall of the freezer, just an even layer across the evaporator coils behind that panel. I should be frost, not ice.
nmnative71  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:57:23 AM(UTC)
nmnative71

I haven't removed the back panel to look at the coils yet. I can do that tonight after work.
denman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 11:58:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool ET1CHEXVB01 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet. It has how to force a defrost.

As CletusT said the first thing is to check the evaporator coils.

If they are frosted/iced over to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them then you have a defrost problem.
If Yes, try the following

Do not let them de-ice.

Manually force a defrost cycle, see the tech sheet. When the fans and compressor shut off you are in a defrost cycle. You may have to hold a door interlock closed.
Now check the defrost heater to see if it is on.
Be careful you do not want to burn your fingers.
If the heater is on then the defrost board needs replacing

If not on.
Unplug the unit.
Remove the wire for one side of the heating element from the wiring and measure it for continuity, usually around 35 ohms or so.

If the heater is OK
Remove one wire to the defrost thermostat and measure it, should be 0 ohms when frozen. Note that it opens just above freezing so must be frozen to check it. Also inspect it, if it is bulged at all replace it even if it measures OK.

If both the above are OK then odds are the defrost board is toast.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
nmnative71  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:04:40 PM(UTC)
nmnative71

Thank you for the advice and the tech sheet. Is the back panel hard to remove? I already removed the two screws from the back, but the ice maker looks a little intimidating to remove. Sorry, I'm an amateur. The shelf doesn't look easy to remove either
CletusT  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:29:10 PM(UTC)
CletusT

Some shelves have a little black plastic clip at the end of the shelf to keep it from sliding out of the holes in the wall of the fridge. Simply remove the little clip, and the shelf then has free play to move from side to side, allowing it to come out of the mounting holes.
The ice makers usually have 2 screws on top mounting into the wall, and one underneath mounting into the wall, then undo the electrical plug and slide it out.
Ice maker is much easier to remove than you think. Just remember where the screws go.
After you get the shelf out and the ice maker out, the back wall just comes forward, unplug any wire harnesses and pull it out.
nmnative71  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2015 5:28:33 AM(UTC)
nmnative71

Removed the back panel and shelf. There was some frost present on the coils but thicker on the top coils. We weren't sure how to turn the thermostat off other than unplugging it. It never seemed to go into defrost after unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging the fridge back in. The heater wire never got warm either.
I'm still wondering why I never hear the fan blowing like it does periodically in most freezers. The fan just turns slowly and I can hear the condenser running.