Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fiend606  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 12:57:17 AM(UTC)
Fiend606

Groups: Registered

I have a Whilrpool Duet gas dryer Model GGW9200LL1. This has an automatic sensing dry cycle or Timed Dry cycle. When I use the automatic sensing dry cycle to dry clothes the dryer dries the clothes about 85%-%90 percent dry. If I run a second cycle to dry the dryer doesn't run the full cycle but will shave time off the timer as it runs and still doesn't always completely dry the clothes. There are buttons to set it to more or less dry but even on the most dry setting the auto dry still stops while the clothes are damp. A small load will dry on two auto cycles while a large large will need 3 auto cycles. If I go to timed dry it will run the whole cycle and dry fine. On the auto cycle the dryer gets hot. No trouble with adequate heat it just stops too soon.

I went in and removed the lint trap housing and dug about a pound and a half of lint out then removed the vent duct from the back and cleared out more from there, maybe another pound between the machine exhaust and the actual duct itself. I didn't get into the blower housing though(at the time I didn't know how to get it apart). The dryer sounds much better and it dries marginally better but still stops with damp clothes so I have to use timed dry.

Could the blower wheel being clogged still cause this since getting everything else cleared out made a small improvement or is this the moisture sensors or the high limit thermostat?? Could it be something else?

I don't mind taking the unit apart since I've watched some videos and know how. I would prefer to only have to do it once though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Fiend606  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 8:12:15 AM(UTC)
Fiend606

Update: I went into the blower wheel and found a lot of lint on the blades and cleared that out. It wasn't completely clogged but it was restricted. I looked inside with a flashlight and there was fine lint built up heavily over the thermistor inside the duct. I used the giant pipe cleaner looking brush and cleared it away and when I did there appears to be some corrosion on the thermistor. I'm testing a load of wet towels now. The dryer is sensing wet and then down to damp. I didn't notice before but I watched this time. I cleared out some singed and burnt lint out of the dryer as well.

If the towels are damp I'll probably try replacing the thermistor first unless I get/find information that leads me in a different direction.
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 12:00:33 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

It sounds like all the problem was restricted air flow inside and outside your dryer. You may replace the thermistor but it's probably OK because the dryer works fine in time dry. Check the moisture sensor terminals and ground connection.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and parts list for your dryer

Model GGW9200LL1

Good luck. Please keep us posted with the results.

Thank you,

Simon.
Fiend606  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2015 9:11:19 PM(UTC)
Fiend606

Cleaning the lint build up out of the blower wheel, housing and in the duct around the thermistor was the final thing I needed to to do. The dryer is working better than it has in years. I've dried 4 large heavy loads of towels and everything has been perfectly dried . Its cycling through all the sensing stages....wet, damp and then cool down. I havn't seen the dryer go through the cool down in a very long time. I even observed the dryer add more time on the timer when it sensed they were still wet near the end of the initial auto cycle which hasn't happened in recent memory. Before the clothes were just hot and damp or just hot if I was there when the dryer finished. I'm very pleased, I learned a lot about my dryer for future maintenance and I didn't have to buy any new parts.

I saved up the lint I removed by hand just from the dryer(not the exhaust ducts but I cleaned those too) and its close to 4 pounds worth. I also used a vacuum cleaner to suck a bunch out after I used the giant pipe cleaner looking brush to loosen the stuff up inside around the parts.

The singed and burnt lint was a huge wake up call. I'll be staying on top of the maintenance of my appliances from now on.

Tomorrow I tackle cleaning out the coils on my refrigerators!!!
Ken05  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 2:33:15 PM(UTC)
Ken05

Tomorrow I tackle cleaning out the coils on my refrigerators!!![/QUOTE wrote:

Very good. Also clean the door seals on your refrigerator. They get sticky over time and peel apart.

Absolute mother to replace. A little paraffin on the seals doesn't hurt either.