Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tekkitan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 4:47:02 PM(UTC)
tekkitan

Groups: Registered

Long story short, whoever assembled my dishwasher at the factory tightened one of the screws on the inside door panel too tight and the plastic mount in the top right broke off. Of course I didn't know about this until last week when the buttons on my dishwasher panel stopped working completely.

Taking it apart, I noticed that screw was just spinning in place when I tried to loosen it. Once I got all the other screws out, I found the broken mount. So because of this, moisture has been seeping into the control board and panel area.

The board *looks* OK as far as I can tell with my computer experience, but I'm not a doctor I just play one on TV. Anyways, the ribbon cable for the control panel on the top of the door had obviously been corroded and was very visible to figure that one out.

So I ordered the new panel from APP (thankfully you guys had it) and installed it today. The cycle buttons work (Auto Clean, Heavy, Normal and Light wash) and the Hi-Temp Wash button is lit, but the Touch Scrub and Heat Dry buttons don't work, which they did prior to the thing breaking last week. As far as I can tell I have all the connections right, but any advice? Maybe I have to run it through a normal cycle first to reset the whole thing? No idea, please advise!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:47:11 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
See the attachment for the tech sheet.

It has the pinout for the control panel.
Looking at it the buttons you list as not working use J1-pin 11 as a common so that may be your problem.

I would remove power from the unit and try cleaning both the ribbon cable end and the connector on the control board.

Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

You could also check the control panel with a meter to be sure that the ribbon cable and buttons on the control panel are OK.
File Attachment(s):
MDBH968.pdf (220kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tekkitan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 6:37:31 AM(UTC)
tekkitan

Awesome! Thanks for the information. I would hope that since it's a new part shipped from APP the cable wouldn't be damaged, but I'll check it to make sure. I didn't clean out the control board connecter, though I probably should have at least inspected it. I'll take it all apart again after work and see what I can find out.

Also, is there a better way to protect the cable itself in case moisture does find it's way in there? I could visibly see rust (or some sort of corrosion/discoloration) on the old cable. I thought it was encased in plastic but maybe not. I guess if the old one lasted five years it should be fine for another five or more years since there is no longer a loose screw on the inside panel, I just like being thorough.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 9:48:04 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Also, is there a better way to protect the cable itself in case moisture does find it's way in there?[/COLOR]
Not that I know of.
tekkitan  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 5:27:26 AM(UTC)
tekkitan

Thanks for the help. I ended up taking it back apart and redoing everything again. This time I made sure the buttons were working before I got it all back together. All buttons and modes are now working. Thanks for the help!
denman  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2015 10:40:03 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome
I am glad to hear that it worked out for you.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.