Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josh Couch  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 7:39:20 PM(UTC)
Josh Couch

Groups: Registered

I first noticed the clothes were still wet when cycle was done. I then kept my eye on the washer when it was washing. It was making a clunking sound like it was trying to change gears. Sometimes when I put it on drain and spin it would just agitate till done. Sometimes it would work normal. It still made the noise when trying to change agitation modes. Now when I start it it fills and the whole tub spins along with the agitator. It is like they are stuck together somehow. It no longer makes a clunking sound but cannot be used at all. Any help would be awesome. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 3:39:05 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

This machine has what is called a mode shifter instead of a transmission, and it sounds like that is what is bad. It also has a diagnostic blinking light on the inverter which is on the motor.

So take off the front panel and see if you have a blinking light. Here is how to interpret things.

HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

You should try a reset but that is probably a long shot here.
Josh Couch  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 6:47:48 PM(UTC)
Josh Couch

I think you are absolutely right about the mode shifter. I did't know how they made them after transmissions. There is a blinking light on the motor and I am going to see if I can get a code from it now. I will post back in a moment with the results. Thanks a lot bud!
Josh Couch  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:41:13 PM(UTC)
Josh Couch

The light is blinking four times. And the link you posted says that is a bad mode shifter. Thanks for the help and I will change it out Monday and post the results. Really appreciate it.
Josh Couch  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:50:06 AM(UTC)
Josh Couch

Ordered the mode shifter and spanner wrench. Have been trying for a week to get the nut off. Used rust buster and wd40 and banging for a week. Don't know what else to do. Was going to cut it off but I think I am just going to be done with it. Tip. Try getting the nut off before you order 200 dollars in parts. Thanks for the help guys.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:33:48 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You do know that the threads are reverse thread? Turn clockwise to loosen. If it won't loosen, it's fairly easy to cut off as it's just made of aluminum.

Eric
Josh Couch  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 12:13:25 PM(UTC)
Josh Couch

I knew they were reverse. Just the hardest nut I ever had to take off and I work on a lot of cars. I did buy a mini hacksaw and went to town on the nut since I was replacing the mode shifter anyways. Had to cut all four sides of the nut off cause it was corroded so bad. Finally it came off with a hammer and a punch. Then the split ring snapped when I tried to remove it. Went and got another for 10 bucks and went to work putting it back together. It came with a tub ring that was not on the old one so I just put it on and it fit perfect. DONE. Put it back together and got it. I was just aggravated when I said give up. I never do. Thanks for the help everyone. I think I need to reset the motor cause it is still blinking four times. FIXED:)
Josh Couch  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 12:48:16 PM(UTC)
Josh Couch

Well it seems it runs in the wrong cycles now. Drain and spin starts with agitation. And when It fills it agitates then spins. Does it just need to be reset a different way then the 12 lid lifts?
Josh Couch  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 10:43:14 AM(UTC)
Josh Couch

I ran it a few times and it ran normal until the spin cycle and it would not spin fast. I ran it a couple of more times and now the new mode shifter is doing the same thing before. The spin basket is spinning again. Can the motor be bad? Could it not be lifting the gears up to agitate?