Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djoutasync  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2015 9:59:12 AM(UTC)
djoutasync

Groups: Registered

Hey all,

New to these forums, so bare with me if I leave out traditional information...I'll try to cover my bases.

The fridge was in our home when we moved in about two years ago, was told it was fairly new. Within the past 6 months or so, I've had ice building up in it excessively and even to the point where it leaks out onto the floor (freezer is on the bottom). I've tried turning the temp up slightly using the front controls, pulling items out just to be sure it wasn't overfull, letting it defrost entirely and "starting over" again, and even went so far as to remove the panel over the grids in the back, defrosted them with a hair dryer and tried defrosting what I believe is the drain in the back left side. The last bit there seemed to help the most, however its started up again and is the worst its ever been. Ice keeps forming along the bottom, its formed near the back, and light coatings just about everywhere else. It's so bad in fact, that the door doesn't even like to close properly as it scrapes along the ice. Any help or suggestions would be greatly welcomed. I'm seasoned in electronic work and mechanics, but I don't know a darn thing about refrigerators and their mechanics. Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

djoutasync  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2015 11:26:07 AM(UTC)
djoutasync

Update: I have once again defrosted the freezer for about an hour and worked to deice everything. I pulled the cover off the back to expose the aluminum "coils" (or whatever they are called) and they didn't have much (if any) ice on them, however there was ice below them and up near the fan above them. I've got to turn the fridge back on to keep my food in the actual fridge portion cold, but will work on the ice here shortly. I don't see a drain port in there though, which I've done a ton of reading on, and is often a culprit listed. Where can I access this port to see if its clogged? Still open to any suggestions on what to do or troubleshoot!
djoutasync  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:53:42 PM(UTC)
djoutasync

Anyone? Still at a loss here
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:34:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool GI5SVAXVL01 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

There should be a hole at the bottom of item 20 in section 10, directly under the evaporator coils in the freezer. This then directs the defrost water into the drip tray Item 8 in Section 10.

I also uses Items 27, 28 and 29 in Section 08 to direct the water.

Sounds like the funnel assy may be plugged.
I would check that it is clear.
If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.
You might as well clean the condenser/compressor fan and the condenser coils while you are down there.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that the drip tray does not overflow and empty the drip tray after you are done.

Be sure to unplug the unit while doing this.

One concern I have is that you say there is frost/ice on the walls inside the freezer. This makes me think that you may also have a door seal problem.

Make sure the door seal and the area where the seal contacts the frame is clean.
Check that the unit is level front to back or leaning slightly to the back.

Take a 2 inch wide strip of paper, insert it between the seal and frame and then pull it out to check the seal. Do this every 8 inches around the door.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
djoutasync  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:01:20 PM(UTC)
djoutasync

Appreciate the follow up!

I am looking at the tray beneath the coils, and I am just not finding a drain hole of any kind. I am little hesitant to pull out the coils as I know they are fragile but will if I must. I am in the right spot correct? (see attached image)
File Attachment(s):
Freezer.jpg (330kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 3:17:25 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes you are in the correct area.

The water should drain into a pan under the coils which has the funnel to direct the water down into the drip tray under the unit.

You may have no choice on moving the evaporator coils. Just be very gentle.

Also I found that the drain kit fits your unit. See below.
You will have to remove the rear cover to see if it has this.
Unfortunately I cannot find the install sheet so do not know if this can be installed from the back.

Part number: AP5780744
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!