Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hazardous06  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 7:32:00 AM(UTC)
hazardous06

Groups: Registered

Back in 2010 I had the main board replaced due to temp fluctuations, condensation on the fresh food side and the freezer getting stuck in defrost mode randomly. At that time I did not know about this site, until I needed to repair my dishwasher a few times. After reading I found out that the main board usually only last about 3yrs, so I just decided to replace it myself. Well I replaced it about 7pm last nite and all was fine. I know it takes a few hrs for the temp to stabilize. 12 hrs later there is no change after replacing the board. Freezer shows +10 and fresh food side shows 42 and I know by feel both sides are colder than its showing. Also condensation is still in the fresh food side mind you I wiped it all out after switching the board. I'm at a lost, did I over look something else that should have been replaced? With my work schedule really the only day I have to check and repair is thurs and sun, so l'm looking to diagnose today so I can order parts if needed to be here on thurs. Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

UncleRodge  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 8:17:38 AM(UTC)
UncleRodge

Could be an air flow restriction. Is the fan motor inside the freezer working? You should be able to hear it running if the refrigerator is running and you would feel air inside the fresh food side where the air flows in. Be sure to close the freezer door when checking for this.

Check the back wall of the freezer for ice crystals on the back wall. If the defrost heaters or defrost thermostat have failed and it's not defrosting would cause air flow restriction.

Check the coils under the fridge, if dust and such has built up on those coils can cause the fridge to be 5-10 degrees warmer.

Hope that Helps!
Rodge @ Flipping Appliances On a Shoestring Budget
hazardous06  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 8:34:13 AM(UTC)
hazardous06

Originally Posted by: UncleRodge Go to Quoted Post
Could be an air flow restriction. Is the fan motor inside the freezer working? You should be able to hear it running if the refrigerator is running and you would feel air inside the fresh food side where the air flows in. Be sure to close the freezer door when checking for this.

Check the back wall of the freezer for ice crystals on the back wall. If the defrost heaters or defrost thermostat have failed and it's not defrosting would cause air flow restriction.

Check the coils under the fridge, if dust and such has built up on those coils can cause the fridge to be 5-10 degrees warmer.

Hope that Helps!

Fan is working. I would have to check the rest. I had planned on taking the back panel off the freezer and checking the coils next. Ok 5mins ago the freezer temp was +7 and food side was 38. I was standing there getting something out and you heard everything stop as if it had reached the set temp. I knew it hadn't because I had set the freezer at 0 and food side at 37. unplugged it for literally 30 sec plugged it back in a freezer was at -7 and food side was at 42.. I don't get it.
UncleRodge  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 11:29:52 AM(UTC)
UncleRodge

Best time to check temps is first thing in the morning. Opening and closing the doors will effect the temperature. Let us know what you find out.

hazardous06  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:56:27 PM(UTC)
hazardous06

Originally Posted by: UncleRodge Go to Quoted Post
Best time to check temps is first thing in the morning. Opening and closing the doors will effect the temperature. Let us know what you find out.

I will do so tomorrow. I think I may have found the problem or the other one anyway. I emptied out the freezer so I could remove the panel to check the coils. No ice no frost, I also took that opportunity to clean out all the frozen gunk at the bottom of the freezer. I had to have had the the freezer opened and unplugged for about 45mins. When I plugged it back in the food side was 52 sounds about rite and the freezer side was at 0. I know there was no way in the world that was rite. I would like to think that would mean the thermostat on the freezer side is the problem. Would I be correct with that conclusion?
hazardous06  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 4, 2015 8:27:03 AM(UTC)
hazardous06

Check refrigerator this morning and freezer was still at 0 and fresh food was at 43. Unplugged for 1 min plugged back in a freezer was -5 and food side was 42.. any ideas?
hazardous06  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 8, 2015 10:11:16 AM(UTC)
hazardous06

Well if changed the main board and changed the thermostat in the fresh food section. The temp on both sides stabilized, but the fresh food side will not go below 42 now. Does anyone have any ideas?
hazardous06  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:00:20 PM(UTC)
hazardous06

Help someone anyone.
hazardous06  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:54:46 AM(UTC)
hazardous06

Well issue has never went away, I've just been to busy to do anything about it. Both sides get cold, some times too cold. fresh food side rarely gets below 40 even though I have it set to 37. Freezer side has some wild temp fluctuations. I have it set on 0 and can sometimes swing from -3 to 12. Normally this happens over night when I wake up readout makes it look like the unit its getting warmer. If I unplug it and plug it back in temps are normal. One thing I've noticed is that in the morning when I get up I don't hear the compressor running. As soon as I open the freezer and then close it it starts to run. I don't think that's normal and not sure if the door switch may be the the issue. I do get some condensation on the fresh food side on the wall next to the freezer and sometimes I hear a creaking sound like that door is sticking. I have changed the main board, temp senor in the fresh food side and the one in the freezer. I am just stuck and my time is limited due to work. I hope someone people on here can point me in the right direction, if not I will just have to breakdown and have sears home repair take a look at it. Thanks in advance.
MadmanArctica  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:00:33 AM(UTC)
MadmanArctica

Hi there - Did you ever figure out why your fresh food side was not cooling properly? I am having the same problem... Freezer is good (but fluctuates) but the fresh food side will not go below 39 or 40 degrees (and fluctuates). I get lots of condensation on the fresh food side that leaks out the door. I would love to know if you found the problem? Thank you!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply