Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RBHenderson  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 1:19:40 PM(UTC)
RBHenderson

Groups: Registered

Dryer doesn't heat. I have been following directions on the tech sheet and online to test the heating circuit components. The thermal fuse, thermistor, thermal cut-off, high limit thermostat, and heater element all seem to be normal (assuming I have tested them correctly.) The diagnostic test mode doesn't give any codes. I have tested the resistance between P2-5 and P2-6 on the control board as directed by the tech sheet and got 15 k ohms. Is that abnormal? Are there other ways that I can test the control board to determine if it is bad before I order a new one?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:27:08 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Did you check for 240vac at the power cord connection block? The heat circuit requires 240vac, the control board and motor operate at 120vac. If good, I would check the heat relay on the control board. Unplug dryer and check the connections on the relay (black and red wires). If they look ok, plug the dryer back in and set it for normal heat cycle and check for 120vac to ground at the relay red wire terminal. Thermistor seems normal for 60 degrees ambient air temp.

Eric
RBHenderson  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:06:37 PM(UTC)
RBHenderson

I did check the power cord connection block and there is normal voltage there. The connections at the heat relay look ok. To be honest I cant figure out how to measure the voltage at the relay because I can't get at the terminal. The clips are insulated and the posts are enclosed in a very tight space. I'm probably being dumb. Also, do I touch the other probe to metal to test for voltage to ground?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:46:21 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Disconnect the red wire at the relay. Check for 120vac to ground (bare metal chassis) at the relay terminal and you should also have 120vac at the red wire terminal you disconnected. (dryer running in heat cycle).

Eric
RBHenderson  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 1:30:11 PM(UTC)
RBHenderson

Thank you, Eric, for your help. The voltage did test normal at the relay. Then when I reconnected it the heat started working. Perhaps something was loose. Anyway, back in business for now!
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 2:13:06 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

There may be a bad solder joint on the back of the board where the relay is soldered in. I would check for that because if that is what caused the problem, it can get worse and damage the circuit trace as in this photo. Check the solder joints with a magnifying glass. If you notice a crack in the solder surrounding one of the pins, then it needs to be resoldered.

Eric

UserPostedImage