Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daryltwo  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:55:38 PM(UTC)
daryltwo

Groups: Registered

This model has a single speed motor, but has three cycles. The PermPress and 'Normal' cycles do not agitate, the Heavy Duty cycle agitates just fine. All other steps in all the cycles work....fill, drain, spin etc. So, I'm thinking it's the washer motor start switch, but there's no electrics diagram with this washer left behind by a tenant and I'm not a good guesser. I'm multimeter literate and have troubleshot 2speed start switches before. This is my first and only one speed. I did to do a windings check and found 1.9ohms..but the fact the motor is working in all aspects, just not all cycles tells me the motor isn't at issue.

Any quick tips or send it to the curb?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 5:39:22 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like the timer to me. Sears parts shows a 2 speed motor for this model but doesn't matter. Are there 5 wires (single speed) at motor connector or six (two speed)? If it's a single speed motor, the only function of the start switch is to disconnect the start winding once motor has started. If it's a 2 speed motor and motor switch is failing, the motor would either just hum, or continuously start/stop if timer was selecting low speed. Timer can be returned if it doesn't fix the problem.

Whirlpool 661598 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
daryltwo  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:08:11 AM(UTC)
daryltwo

I'm not at the washer today, but I do have the starter here. There are 6 wires into the connector and 5 out. Bk,WhBk,Bu,Ye,Or,R. The red comes from the capacitor and goes to the points with black on the other side of the points completing that circuit when they're closed. That leaves 5 wires to the motor from the starter.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 9:23:16 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Then that's a two speed motor.

Eric
daryltwo  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 9:38:40 AM(UTC)
daryltwo

without a purple wire?
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 7:26:49 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Isn't there a purple wire going into the motor from the switch? That goes to the low speed winding. What is the part number on the motor? When low speed is called for, power is via the harness orange wire to the motor switch. Initially, this connects to the motor blue wire (high speed winding) via motor switch contacts. Motor must always start in high speed. After motor gets up to speed, switch redirects power to the motor purple wire for low speed. Can you provide photo of your wiring diagram? Can't find your exact one.

Eric