Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gerry d  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 11:23:22 AM(UTC)
gerry d

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I don't see a section for water heaters. Is this the correct section to post in?

Gerry
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gerry d  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:49:11 AM(UTC)
gerry d

I guess this section will do.

My heat pump water heater started running very loud the other day.
I read the manual and cleaned the air filter as recommended. It seemed to help, but 3 days later it is beeping with a F-4 fan failure alarm. 1 of the fans is not running.

Unit is under parts only warranty now. They want over 100 bucks to service the unit and may not give me the parts to do it myself(will find out monday).

The fan is a crazy 150 dollars for 4 inch muffin fan.

This is the second time in 4 years the fans have failed. The first was when the unit was 1 month old. The warranty tech came out and replaced both fans and upgraded the software in the control panel.

Anyone else seen this issue. If I have to buy new fans every 4 years or pay for a service tech the cost saving of a heat pump are erased and I would be better off with the old style water heater.

I think I need to try to get GE to acknowledge the issue and make a corrective action.

Any additional customers with the same issue would help a lot.

Gerry
gerry d  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 8:05:27 AM(UTC)
gerry d

ge is sending the parts free fed ex ground for me to replace myself.

how cool is that
gerry d  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 6:40:09 AM(UTC)
gerry d

good news/ bad news.

The fan arrived saturday and I replaced it sunday.
Still had same fault. Got into it deeper and found the diagnostics pass code on line. Turns out the GE tech that changed the fans 4 years ago connected them backwards. Fan 1 was plugged into fan 2 on control board and visa versa.

That made the fault show up on the wrong fan in the fault menu.

I verified this with GE tech support. They are sending another fan to replace the failed one. After the call I moved the fans around and the unit is working. They are sending me a second fan for free.

So I have another fan coming as a spare. Not bad GE.
gerry d  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2014 2:27:05 PM(UTC)
gerry d

I had another issue with my water heater. This is getting old, but I guess this is not really a specific brand problem, more a water quality issue that is blind to make or model.

The output pipe corroded to the point it snapped at the connection and flooded the laundry room. Luckily I was in the shower when it let go and the water stopped. I have a water alarm wired in the room with the water heater and heard the alarm from the bathroom.

GE sent the output pipe to me at no charge and expediteded the shipping to overnight priority one fed ex at no cost to me because I had no hot water.
The pipe sells for 48 bucks on this site.

Only 4 years and the pipe failed. I had the unit proffesionally installed, as you have to with this model to get warranty coverage.

The water here in central florida is mineral heavy

Thanks again GE for no hassel, free overnight shipping and a great attitude.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply