Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
adm388  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:58:14 PM(UTC)
adm388

Groups: Registered

Won't spin during rinse or final spin. If I set the knob to spin or even just turn it off and on a couple times, then it will spin. The lid switch was broken and has been glued back to together. I can hear it clicking when the lid is closed. I checked the clutch and coupling, both fine. Removed the knob to make sure it's not a timing issue. So is my next step to buy a continuity tester to see if the lid switch is working electrically? I literally taught myself how to work on a washer today so use simple terms please. :) If I do need the tester, where can I find one cheap and what exactly do I look for?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2014 5:23:18 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The easiest way to test the lid switch is to use a jumper wire to by-pass by inserting the wire in the non-ground terminals on the connector from the timer.

If the machine spins, you have a lid switch problem.
adm388  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:58:46 PM(UTC)
adm388

The plug inside the control panel that plugs into the lid switch is missing. There's just cut wires with black tape around them. Where would I order the part and find instructions to fix it?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:09:29 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Okay, I am guessing what happened here is that lid switch went bad and someone had another switch with the wrong plug so they just hard wired the new switch or wired the old broken switch in and cut off the plug.

I suggest you just get a new lid switch and cut off the plug and connect the wires to the wires coming from the console with wire nuts and tape over the nuts. If you make a good connection you should be fine.

You can order the lid switch on this site or call in your order on Monday.

Here is the part

AP3100001

and there is a link to a video to show you how to do it.
adm388  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:26:14 PM(UTC)
adm388

I already have the new lid switch. I have zero experience working with wires. The a-hole who sold me the set is refusing to refund despite claiming it worked fine. I'd like to fix it and resell it myself. In that situation, is it a bad idea to connect the wires like that?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:32:22 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

No, as long as you do a good solid connection with wire nuts and make sure it is insulated with the tape around the nuts you should be ok. You absolutely should disclose the repair to a prospective buyer. The only purpose of the connector is to make it easier to change out the lid switch, there are lots of areas in appliances and other electrical devices where connections are made with wire nuts.

Just make sure the hot are connected to the hot and the ground is connected to the ground. You should be fine. Yeah, the jerk that sold it to you just jerry rigged it instead of getting a lid switch with the right connector. We see this fairly often.
adm388  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:34:49 PM(UTC)
adm388

UserPostedImage

The green wire is so short, I don't know how I'd attach it.
adm388  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:38:03 PM(UTC)
adm388

I really appreciated you all helping. I've literally been in tears over this. I'm so disgusted that another woman would sell a broken appliance to a single mother and then refuse to refund, just leaving me with the cost of service and repairs.
adm388  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:07:17 PM(UTC)
adm388

Should the ground wires look like this?

UserPostedImage
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:34:24 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

I can't really tell much from the pics, but just splice a similar gauged wire to the green wire to make it longer. you don't even need wire nuts, just twisted good and taped good.

Sorry this happened, it is really an easy repair to do correctly, but as I said, we repair a lot of these where someone has done a half-a***d job.

Good luck, hope all of this work you are doing pays off.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply