Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ronbo36  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:51:17 AM(UTC)
Ronbo36

Groups: Registered

Yesterday I received the replacement tube to resolve the leaking water and ice under the freezer problem.

Each day while waiting for the tube to arrive I checked under the freezer for water or ice, and with the duck-bill drain removed there was none...until last night when I got ready to install the new tube.

I found the area under the freezer filled with water again, and frozen into a sheet of ice again. So it must have happened sometime between Monday night and Tuesday evening, because the same area was dry before then.

So if it is still doing this with the drain removed, I am thinking it mush be due to something different...like maybe a faulty defrost heater?

Any thoughts!

Ron
denman  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:56:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]like maybe a faulty defrost heater?[/COLOR]
I do not think this would be the problem as the heater is doing what it is supposed to which is melt the frost off the evaporator coils.

Check that the area from under the evaporator coils is nice and clean. Any dirt etc. could slow down the draining of the water letting it freeze.
Sometimes coating this area with car wax etc. and buffing it up will help the water drain quicker.

Check the freezer temperature.
It should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.
Perhaps it is just too cold.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Ronbo36  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:33:14 AM(UTC)
Ronbo36

I watched two different 'how to' video's on YouTube today, and figured out the problem has to do with ice being retained behind the back panel of the freezer that is neither being seen nor adequately addressed.

So I removed the freezer door and drawers to gain access to the back panel, and made sure the ice there was fully melted, and drained.

When I checked the back drain the pan there had a good deal of water in it now, so dried that all out and am letting it sit until tomorrow afternoon just to be sure there is no ice left anywhere.
careh  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 12:06:45 PM(UTC)
careh

Whirlpool has issued a bulletin on this defrost drain clogging issue to replace the clog prone duck bill grommets with a 'P' trap. This is for many fridges made under the brand names of: Whirlpool KitchenAid JennAir Maytag and Amana

Details at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0...IV4NNWJNNmx0andROGs/edit

This is one case where filling in the product registration card *may* have been of use - as that way Whirlpool would have had a way to contact the registered owners regarding this bulletin.

I have contacted my retailer (Sears) to ask why they did not notify me of this bulletin - issued in November, 2013... seeing as they knew they sold me this defective product and they do service for Whirlpool.
Ronbo36  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:22:21 PM(UTC)
Ronbo36

Originally Posted by: careh Go to Quoted Post
Whirlpool has issued a bulletin on this defrost drain clogging issue to replace the clog prone duck bill grommets with a 'P' trap. This is for many fridges made under the brand names of: Whirlpool KitchenAid JennAir Maytag and Amana

Details at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0...IV4NNWJNNmx0andROGs/edit

This is one case where filling in the product registration card *may* have been of use - as that way Whirlpool would have had a way to contact the registered owners regarding this bulletin.

I have contacted my retailer (Sears) to ask why they did not notify me of this bulletin - issued in November, 2013... seeing as they knew they sold me this defective product and they do service for Whirlpool.

Good point! I did register my Kitchenaid fridge, but also never received a bulletin regarding the faulty drain issue from either Kitchenaid or the seller. In the many phone calls and emails I made to both Kitchenaid and the seller the bulletin was never even mentioned. So much for customer service. Will not buy from either again.
careh  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:53:42 AM(UTC)
careh

Consider calling the US Consumer Protection Safety Council at 800-638-2772 to lodge a complaint.

It is possible they might get around to doing a recall on these defective refrigerators if enough complaints are received.

Besides Whirlpool wanting to charge us for repairing the defective refrigerators we already bought - the issues in this situation are:

* A safety issue for a slip and fall if someone slips on the water.

* Physical damage to flooring if one has hardwood or laminate flooring and the water swells the flooring.

I have placed a similar complaint in Canada with Health Canada

Originally Posted by: Ronbo36 Go to Quoted Post
Good point! I did register my Kitchenaid fridge, but also never received a bulletin regarding the faulty drain issue from either Kitchenaid or the seller. In the many phone calls and emails I made to both Kitchenaid and the seller the bulletin was never even mentioned. So much for customer service. Will not buy from either again.
Ronbo36  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:41:15 AM(UTC)
Ronbo36

Thanks Careh, I will file my complaint today as you suggested!