Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
megapossum@charter.net  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2014 4:55:48 AM(UTC)
megapossum@charter.net

Groups: Registered

Atlantis model Maytag Washer won't spin all water from clothes. This started after a small heavy rug was washed. The washer when filled with water(no clothes) will pump the water out in 90 sec. With a clothing load, it doesn't spin all the water out now. Any suggestions as to what would cause this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 5:29:26 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

A washer will not get all the water out for one or ore of three reasons.

1. It is not spinning fast enough
2. The pump is broken
3. The drain lines from the tub to the pump, or the pump or the drain from the pump is obstructed.

Start your diagnosis by operating the machine with the front panel off. You can then see if the spin is fast enough, if it is check out the lines and the pump.
megapossum@charter.net  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:30:32 AM(UTC)
megapossum@charter.net

Thanks for the response. The washer belongs to my sister-in-law. Since I wasn't on the scene I have not yet pulled the front off to check any of the three things you mentioned. I had her filled it up with water(large load setting, no clothes) and set the cycle to spin. It took 90 seconds to empty the water from tub. I thought this would indicate tub spin speed would be ok and there weren't any obstructions in either hoses or pump. Do you think my rational is faulty? I was wondering if the washer had a clutch assy. that had possibly been damaged when she washed the rug as the washer prior to that had been spinning all the water out. Also I wondered if perhaps the belt may have started slipping in dealing with the rug. What do you think? As I don't see a clutch mechanism listed in the parts diagram I assume that rules out a clutch problem. Am planning to pull the front off as you suggest and do as you suggested. Should I put three or four towels in to simulate operating conditions? In the timing test I had done earlier I didn't think of that. With the stipulation that I'm only a "Shade Tree " appliance mechanic, having only repaired mine and those of relatives and friends over the years, I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks again and if you have more suggestions feel free to respond as it will be several days until I get to work on it.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 26, 2014 11:43:35 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Okay, since it will drain this means the pump and hoses should be okay. And there is no clutch on these machines.

The typical problem with these models is slow spin due to failure of this part here.

Part number: AP4009132
Part number: AP4009132

Change it out and you should be all set.
victorf  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:36:37 PM(UTC)
victorf

I am having an similar problem. Water will fill/drain, will agitate but will not spin in the spin cycle at the end.

I did the thrust bearing change out, noticed the center actuating cam does not rotate to activate drum when turning center wheel counter clockwise - it will turn with pulley with little resistance. Washer installed was the .032 thick one and the .062 washer is too thick to fit, there is no backlash even with two screwdriver prying from opposite sides.

In this situation, would the .062 washer help?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:57:21 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

It should, watch the video to make sure you are doing it correctly.
victorf  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:46:43 PM(UTC)
victorf

Any suggestion on how to pry to create enough space to install the locking clip after the .062 thick washer?

I have watched the video. Not having problem installing the thrust bearing kit with the .032 thick washer. I have even incrementally installed an .01" thick washer, in addition to the .032" - not helping. Increased to .05" total thickness, same as .062" - not able to install.

Any wisdom?
victorf  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:31:44 AM(UTC)
victorf

Just an update for the benefit of others in the future, who might experienced the same scenario.

My washer was an Maytag PAVT 244 AWW.

To be fair, in regards to the direction on how "to check brake disengagement", the above kit might have different functionality between brands. Despite the failed verification of the cam movement, I used the .032" washer behind the E clip, left the front panel open and did an full wash to verify. It worked.

Thank you for the helpful suggestion non the less!!
mhatch14  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:12:20 PM(UTC)
mhatch14

I'm having a similar problem but with a Maytag SAV3710AWW. I don't see a Thrust Bearing Kit for this model. Is there something else I should be looking for? Our clothes are still pretty wet after the spin cycle. Draining seems to be fine.

thanks in advance!
mhatch14  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:55:29 AM(UTC)
mhatch14

Just an update on this. The spin cycle after the wash cycle works fine. The spin cycle ("Extended spin") after the rinse cycle is where the problem seems to occur. The spin slowly starts as the water drains out.

Once the water is drained out, the spin speed increases and seems to be fine. Then after about 30 seconds the spin just stops, while the motor keeps running. Almost like the brake is being applied prematurely. It goes on like this until the end of what should be the spin cycle.

This is why our clothes are still wet, I think.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply