Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dscully  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 12:56:12 PM(UTC)
Dscully

Groups: Registered

My Viking range top trips the GFI when plugged in. I have unplugged the stove top and the GFI works fine. I am not familiar with the ignition system. Is this something I can repair or does a part need to be replaced? Can a pretty handy guy like myself do the fix or do I need an appliance pro?

thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 1:58:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely there is nothing with the range. It is not recommended by the manufacturer to use a GFI. You have to use a regular outlet connected to a regular circuit breaker.

Gene.
Dscully  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 2:11:17 PM(UTC)
Dscully

Thanks Gene. It was professionally installed 3 years ago and all has been OK until this weekend. I thought it was a bad GFI so I replaced it. As soon as I plug in the range the GFI trips. I wonder if I could experiment with an extension cord to a different circuit, although most in the kitchen are GFI protected??
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2009 4:09:36 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If you have the Installation instructions came with the range then you can check the electrical requirements there. If you do not have one, I found the instructions on line and it 's written there on page 12: "Do not use GFI circuit".

Gene.
jhdsuon  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:34:58 AM(UTC)
jhdsuon

Does anyone have an answer to why a Viking 6 burner range would all of sudden start tripping GFCI. Yes, i know it's supposed to be on its own dedicated 20amp circuit, but it worked fine on a GFCI multi receptable circuit. The builder hooked it up that way and i had no say in the matter.:mad:

Just looking for any answers before i start tearing up my house to install a dedicated line. I could remove the GFCI and remove all other "load" receptacles in the series, but then i would lose three outlets that are useful.:mad:

Thanks.
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:47:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I do not have an easy answer for you.

When does it trip?
As soon as you plug the unit in or when you do a certain operation.
This may help you narrow it down if it trips on a certain operation then look in that area.

Could be a bad GFI.
If you have another/different GFI circuit try running it on that line.

If not a bad GFI then there is probably moisture or dirt that runs from the live side of the line to ground.

I would try running the unit on a non GFI circuit perhaps heating it up for a while will clear a moisture problem.

If you can get at the controls/boards easily try heating them up a couple times using a hair dryer. Do not get them too hot.

If it is a dirt problem then finding it will be very difficult.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply