Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ti28  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 22, 2014 11:16:58 PM(UTC)
Ti28

Groups: Registered

My Amana NFW7200TW washer stopped working during a cycle and returned an E3 error on the digital display. I stopped the cycle and realized that the cycle had stopped just before the final spin cycle. I reset the cycle and attempted to try running a spin cycle again. I again received the E3 error code. I removed all the clothes and tried again and while I did not get the E3 error code the washer would not fully enter a spin cycle. The washer would attempt to drain and then attempt to start a spin cycle. The motor makes a much louder than normal whining sound and never actually gets up to speed. The washer is fully drained and the pump appears to be clear and functioning properly. It seems to me that the motor is shot and needs to be replaced, but I don't want to pull the trigger on purchasing one without a little more reassurance that the motor is actually the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Ti28  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 6:13:54 PM(UTC)
Ti28

OK, so i put the washer into diagnostic mode and ran a spin test. The motor is supposed to spool up to spin speed and spin for 2 minutes. It would begin spooling up and get to about 135-140 RPM and then shut down and try again. It never actually completed the 2 minute spin test. During this process the washer motor has a strange sound to it and appears to be creating a vibration as well.

On board diagnostics reported error code 2E for a Motor Drive Failure.

I tried again to run the washer on spin cycle only in normal operation mode. The motor tumbled the drum and then attempted to spool up to spin speed and quickly stopped and attempted to restart a spin cycle.

I removed the motor and tested the power leads. The service manual indicated that the resistance between any of the 3 leads should be 3 ohm. I'm getting 3.5-3.6 ohm across the 3 wires (1-2, 1-3 & 2-3). There is evidence of a small leak from the top of the detergent drawer that appears to have resulted in some water getting on the motor at some point (there is evidence of water on the motor in the form of mineral deposits and some minor surface rust. The motor was dry when removed).

From the sound the motor makes and the fact that it will not spool up to full spin cycle speed my opinion is that the motor is faulty or the on-board tachometer is faulty. My plan at this point is to look for a new motor and hope that solves the problem. I would appreciate if anyone has any input they could provide.

Thanks.
Ti28  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 23, 2014 7:34:50 PM(UTC)
Ti28

Also checked resistance on the Hall sensor. 4.6k Ohm across the power lead and ground. All other combinations were open circuits.
huey63  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2014 9:34:28 AM(UTC)
huey63

did you get this fixed? What was wrong? I am having the same problems.
Ti28  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:50:04 AM(UTC)
Ti28

I installed a new motor. Problem solved.
huey63  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:51:18 PM(UTC)
huey63

The only error message I get was 3E the washing machine runs through all the cycles except spin. You think that is the motor too? Someone said it sounded like the Controller? They never heard of a motor going out. But everything I have read does think motor. Mine does not make any loud humming noise at all, it works great till spin cycle.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply