Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
janeaniebeanie  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 12:04:49 PM(UTC)
janeaniebeanie

Groups: Registered

:confused: I bought this washer two months ago from my neighbors when they moved so I don't know how old it is.

I am trying to find out if part 310 is missing, or if it is stuck in part 300.

The attached photos are the bottom of part 300 and the washer without the agitator in it.

I found individual pieces of the agitator in different areas of my basement and the agitator was cracked. I don't know if my washer was vandalized or if the parts came out when I was taking out a load of wash (I do medium and small loads, I never over stuff the washer). The whole thing creeps me out, so just trying to figure out of something is missing so I can figure out what to do next.
janeaniebeanie attached the following image(s):
part300.jpg
bottom-of-washer.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 12:22:03 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The parts are stuck together. You will have to make 8 shims out of metal flashing material and use them to hold all 8 "fingers" of the agitator from engaging the agitator coupler (310). Another option is to make a ring that you can press in there to push the fingers apart and then pull coupler out with pliers. What about the agitator coupler bolt? Is it still in the agitator shaft (photo not closeup enough), is it in the coupler, did it shear off in the agitator shaft? There should be internal threads in the agitator shaft for the bolt. The bolt holds the coupler to the agitator shaft, the agitator slides over and locks onto the coupler. To remove agitator normally, you place a strap under it and yank upwards to pull it loose from the coupler which stays attached to agitator shaft until you remove bolt.

Eric
janeaniebeanie  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:32:38 PM(UTC)
janeaniebeanie

I think the bolt is stuck up there. It seems to have become stripped and the agitator slammed around the basket, which caused it to crack. But would it have enough force to open the lid of the washer and send the pieces flying across the room?

I just tried a test cycle without any laundry in, and the agitator came off, so the bolt is either stuck up in the coupler and it's stripped, or it's gone on vacation.

I've already been quoted for a new agitator assembly at well over $100 (Sears) and since I only paid $125 to my neighbor, I'm thinking I should just buy a new washer. It's all gross and corroded inside too.
janeaniebeanie  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:34:48 PM(UTC)
janeaniebeanie

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2014 1:47:13 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
A new agitator assembly is $33 and agitator coupler is %5. First you need to determine if the threads in the top of the agitator shaft are ok. If you can't get the original bolt, go to the hardware store and buy a bolt, size 1/4-20 by 1/2" long (or 3/4", 1" whatever) and screw it into the agitator shaft to see if the threads are ok. If good, the new agitator coupler will come with the proper bolt.

Eric

GE WH43X10034 Agitator Assembly - AppliancePartsPros.com

GE WH49X10042 Washer Agitator Coupler Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com
janeaniebeanie  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2014 6:55:54 AM(UTC)
janeaniebeanie

I was able to find a used agitator and coupler from a local appliance store and I will be attempting to install it myself later today. Hopeful :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply