Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AppUser1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:28:28 PM(UTC)
AppUser1

Groups: Registered

Interested in knowing what one should look for / consider when buying a used HVAC system to replace existing system. Also how price should be determined. Currently have 2 ton split system heat pump (Carrier Condensing Unit model 38YC024310 and Ruud UBHC-14J07SFD Air Handler located in attic). Considering purchasing a used 2 1/2 ton Bryant Quantum plus 13 SEER heat pump built 8/1999. Current system uses R-22 freon refrigerant I believe and the Bryant Quantum uses Puron R-410A refrigerant. I believe the indoor hair handler model is FV4ANF003 and outside condensing unit is 650an030-C .
Any comments or suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mikey5598  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:37:31 AM(UTC)
Mikey5598

I wouldn't. It's not like a car where you can look and under it for oil leaks or listen to it to hear how it sounds. Plus the Bryant Quantum is 15 years old. Most HVAC systems like expectancy is about 16 to 18 if it was well maintained. You may run into issues such as pin hole leaks in your system that are sometimes very hard to repair, or find. Also you don't know how used that compressor is. It may be fine for say a week, and than it could just go out. I would just save up the dough and buy me something with a warranty. Now if this is something for say a backyard shop or something like that, where you want to take that chance than maybe. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
AppUser1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:24:04 AM(UTC)
AppUser1

Mikey5598, thank you for taking the time and posting a reply. I appreciate it. I'll do as you recommended, and pass. I believe the asking price was $300.00.
Again, thank you for your time.
AppUser1  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:01:14 AM(UTC)
AppUser1

Thanks for reply Sam. No way to test Thermostat (refer to indoor thermostat?) & compressor prior to installation, correct?
louiedonovan55  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:46:35 AM(UTC)
louiedonovan55

It would be a good idea given the fact that you'll incur more savings than buying new ones. But be wary and make sure that you buy the second unit but working properly. Alternatively, you may also look for an HVAC professional advice such as Air Conditioning Repair Glendale
AppUser1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:14:51 PM(UTC)
AppUser1

Any suggestions on what features to look for in electric split system heat pump replacement unit for current Ruud UBHC-14J07SFD Air Handler,
(Currently RHEEM / Rudd is installed from 1991 I believe)
- Rheem?
- SEER 14 or higher?
- Increase size form 2 tons to 2.5tons?
- Copeland two stage scroll compressor?
- single phase / single stage?
- Built in humidity sensor?
- CFM?
- Electric heat strip?
- 4 way airflow design?
- two speed fan / multi-speed motor?
- Automatic delay fan switch that turns off fan a few minutes after compressor turns off?
- Energy Star Qualified?
- Check filter light reminder?
Thank you in advance for all suggestions.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply