Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wesleyohall  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:38:27 PM(UTC)
wesleyohall

Groups: Registered

I'm working on my washer that won't spin. Machine running with cabinet off and bypassed lid switch. Fills, agitates, pumps but won't spin. Clutch is not spinning. I checked clutch and shoes and spring in good condition and tight, not slipping when tested by hand. Motor coupler removed and inspected and is good and spinning. Motor speed is same for agitate as spin cycle. Any ideas what to check next?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:20:40 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
With your cabinet off and lid switch bypassed, run it in spin. If clutch hub is not spinning, stop washer and start again. If clutch hub still not spinning, looks like bad gearcase. Remove motor and rotate gearcase input shaft by hand in CW direction. If clutch hub doesn't rotate, gearcase is bad. It is repairable if you are good mechanically and want to tear into it, otherwise, replace the whole thing.

Eric
wesleyohall  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 6:54:14 AM(UTC)
wesleyohall

Motor not spinning clutch hub in spin cycle. I removed motor. Clutch will not spin when I hand spin the gearbox input shaft clockwise or counter clockwise. Spinning counter clockwise will operate agitator shaft back and forth. Is gearbox good or bad? When I look at motor standing behind pump shaft it is running in clockwise direction. (Should the motor run in counter clockwise direction on wash cycle?)
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:27:54 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yes, your gearcase is bad. Yes, motor runs in opposite direction for agitation.

Eric
wesleyohall  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:46:27 PM(UTC)
wesleyohall

Thank you! I'll take the gear case apart tonight and see what's going on.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:59:54 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Ok, you'll be looking for a stripped spin gear, #25, a worn or broken spin pawl or sheared spin pawl stud. These are parts of the neutral drain assembly, #26. Spin pawl stud goes through spin pawl, neutral drain plate and screws into main drive gear (in #19). There is no formed cover gasket so after removing bolts, use putty knife to cut into cover sealant to break it loose. Gearcase has 16oz of oil so make sure gearcase is clamped in upright position when taking cover off. Remove retaining ring from top of spin gear and remove gear to get to neutral drain parts. Neutral drain plate rotates with main drive gear and when going in spin direction, the spin pawl engages one of three bosses on underside of spin gear. Spin gear drives spin pinion gear, #5, which drives clutch.

Eric

UserPostedImage
wesleyohall  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2014 4:32:49 PM(UTC)
wesleyohall

Awesome! Thank you for the diagram and instructions.
I opened and inspected the gear case. Found the problem in the neutral assembly #26. It is a sheared spin paul stud. The stud top was in the spin paul and the end is still in the main gear drive #19. When the stud sheared it made groves around the main gear drive and connecting rack. Would like to replace #19 Bottom and Pinion Gearcase part #389230 or the replacement # 285515 are no longer available. Could probably fix by removing stud end from connecting rack with screw tap tool. I decided to get a new gear case #1 part #3360630 but is no longer available. I got the replacement Gear case part #3360029 and it does not fit. When in place I can't bolt it in. Gearcase is 1/4 inch from support part#389350. Clutch clip is in groove and tight against the basket drive.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply