Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake53  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 1:43:08 PM(UTC)
Jake53

Groups: Registered

The timer dial doesn't advance when dyer is in the Auto Dry regular mode. This is the mode we use mostly. The heat seems normal in the dyer. Auto Dry regular does dry the clothes but timer doesn't advance to shut off. The other three modes on the timer function normally and advance to shut off. Thank You for your time and advice.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 2:58:06 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Recheck that model number, doesn't come up.

Eric
Jake53  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:55:29 AM(UTC)
Jake53

Eric, sorry my mistake. Model MDG9316AWW. Thank You.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:08:58 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

This is most likely due to a restriction in the venting system, either inside the dryer or the outside exhaust ducting. In order for the timer to advance in auto-dry, the operating thermostat must cycle on/off. When on, the burner is on and you have heat but timer does not advance. As air temp rises, the thermostat cycles off, burner goes off, timer advances while burner is off, dryer cools, thermostat comes back on to light burner and timer stops advancing. Restrictions in the venting will not allow hot air to get to the thermostat which is located on the blower housing. The burner may still be cycling on/off due to the hi-limit thermostat. You will need to take the dryer apart, including blower housing to inspect for lint buildup. If everything is clear, you may have a faulty operating thermostat or a faulty hi-limit thermostat. Only way to tell would be to take some live line voltage checks while dryer is running.

Eric
Jake53  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 6:22:06 AM(UTC)
Jake53

Eric, Wow!! great answer. I will make sure all duct work is clear. In the meantime, since I have a tester, can you explain how to test each thermostat and what readings I am looking for? Thanks a million.

jake53
Jake53  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:36:34 AM(UTC)
Jake53

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
This is most likely due to a restriction in the venting system, either inside the dryer or the outside exhaust ducting. In order for the timer to advance in auto-dry, the operating thermostat must cycle on/off. When on, the burner is on and you have heat but timer does not advance. As air temp rises, the thermostat cycles off, burner goes off, timer advances while burner is off, dryer cools, thermostat comes back on to light burner and timer stops advancing. Restrictions in the venting will not allow hot air to get to the thermostat which is located on the blower housing. The burner may still be cycling on/off due to the hi-limit thermostat. You will need to take the dryer apart, including blower housing to inspect for lint buildup. If everything is clear, you may have a faulty operating thermostat or a faulty hi-limit thermostat. Only way to tell would be to take some live line voltage checks while dryer is running.

Eric

Eric, I have changed the thermostat on the blower housing, the timer still does not advance. What should be my next move? replace the hi limit thermostat or consider the timer? Thanks, jake 53
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:53:53 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You are testing dryer operation with everything put back together, right? You replaced the thermostat, not the fuse, right? Thermostat has blue, orange, white and purple wires on it. Check voltage at timer terminals. With dryer running in auto-dry and temp set to regular, monitor voltage to ground at timer OR terminal. Should be zero with burner on and 120vac when burner cycles off. If you don't get 120vac when burner cycles off, check at BU terminal. If you have 120vac there, check at temp switch white wire. If you have 120vac at timer BU and temp switch white wire when burner has cycled off, then the it wasn't the cycling thermostat that turned the burner off. Either the hi-limit thermostat did it or the gas coils are failing. This all may be over your head but this requires electrical troubleshooting with meter to pinpoint the problem.

Eric
Jake53  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:56:37 PM(UTC)
Jake53

Understood...Thank You again Eric. I will let you know of the outcome.
Jake53  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 2:02:43 PM(UTC)
Jake53

Hello again Eric. Here is the situation. They dryer now has two new thermostats, cycling and hi-limit. Also, I purchased and installed two new coils. I tested the OR terminal to ground while the dyer and burner were running per your instructions. The reading is 0.38vac or 383mvac. However I can not test while the burner is off because it never shuts off!! I let the dryer run for 15 minutes and the burner never shut off. There is plenty of heat. I also checked the continuity on the thermal fuse, it seems fine. If the timer, in auto mode only, moves when the burner cycles off, I can now understand why the timer is not advancing. Shouldn't the burner have cycled off at least once in that 15 minute period? Anyway...any idea what the problem is? temperature switch? Thanks for all your help, I do really appreciate it. Jake53
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 2:51:03 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Wouldn't be the temp switch. That actually turns on a heater (resistor) inside the cycling thermostat so that it cycles faster, giving you the medium and low heat function. Check air temp coming out of dryer exhaust (at dryer exit).

Eric