Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
reltub  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:29:35 PM(UTC)
reltub

Groups: Registered

My washer had a bad imbalance a week or so back. Adjusted it and moved on and my wife tells me it is making noise again. I took the cabinet off, all the springs are intact, the balance ring plug is not leaking, the cabinet is on correctly I put it back together and when it hits the son cycle, it sounds like the drum is skipping on the suspension pads. There is a rapid clunking noise coming from right under the drum as it spins and it is loud. When the clunking is happening, the center agitator is not spinning. I do not have further time to take this apart all the way until Saturday. Could the suspension plate be bent or bad or broken? Just the pads? Please help. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 4:34:40 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If the basket is spinning but agitator is not, that is a problem in the gearcase. Can you post a video to youtube showing spin mode with lid open so we can hear and see inside basket? It's ok to run the machine with the cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. The cabinet has no function as far as balance is concerned.

Eric
reltub  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 9:55:19 AM(UTC)
reltub

I shot a little video and will get it uploaded. However, I am now seeing that it only makes this horrendous noise when it is try to brake the drum and that the drum is actually not slowing at all. In fact, in the video you can see me stick my hand in to stop the drum.

So maybe an issue with the brakes or clutch. I believe I replaced the clutch about 18 months ago or so.
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 10:02:08 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The drive block is likely worn and slipping on the basket drive. Is it a "thunk thunk thunk" noise even after the motor stops?
reltub  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 1:38:06 PM(UTC)
reltub

Double post.
reltub  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 1:38:41 PM(UTC)
reltub

Here is the video. It doesn't seem to be an issue until the drum starts to slow.

VID 20131122 092610081 - YouTube
Appliance Ninja  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 1:40:25 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

That is indeed the drive block. The link below is to the part you need and a video showing how to replace it!

Whirlpool 389140 Washer Drive Block - AppliancePartsPros.com
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 2:08:10 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I would first check for a loose tub nut. Unusal but not unheard of. I see when you open the lid, the basket is still spinning but the agitator is not. This means the drive block has stopped spinning with the spin tube and the basket is just loosely spinning on the drive block.

Eric
reltub  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 2:35:35 PM(UTC)
reltub

Was thinking of this as well, I have had it apart before and not sure if maybe I didn't tighten it enough.
Appliance Ninja  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 2:56:22 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The tub would likely wobble with a loose tub nut. The "thunking" you hear is indicative of the drive block as it spins over the ears of the basket drive. Post what you find, I am curious....