Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rrchacon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 3:44:07 AM(UTC)
rrchacon

Groups: Registered

My wife and I bought a Kenmore 790-48193000 30” ElectricDouble-Oven (Frigidaire). We have recently noticed the upper oven not holdingits temperature accurately, sometimes falling below its indicated setting by up to 150-degrees F. For instance, if we set “Cakes Breads” option at350-degrees F for the UPPER oven, the indicator eventually shows 350-degrees. When we measure the oven temperature, it shows about 396-degrees. Once we place the cake or cookies inside the oven, we see the indicator cycling the upper/lower elements to apparently keep the oven at the chosen setting (350). However, when we measure the oven’s interior, it is about 184-degrees. Once we turn it off, and immediately restart it, it will reach about 390 through 398 and then go through the same gradual ‘cool-off’ period even though the control panel shows the chosen temperature. Bottom oven is NOT affected.

I just replaced the temperature sensors to no avail. The upper oven continues the same behavior while the bottom oven is operating flawlessly.

Could you suggest where to find a Repair/Service manual or a wiring diagram forsale for these ovens or is there any other suggestions I could try?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:03:59 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

There's a relay board behind the control that has problems alot of times on these units or it's your main control ecu....what happens is the heat or the moisture from cooking gets up into the electronics and makes a bugger out of them. Also avoid using the self cleaning mode if you have one this will cause problems as well........both these parts are around $400. and i'm sorry i couldn't tell you off hand how to determine the problem unless you can hear the relays malfunctioning. The schematics don't show up on this site but you can go to s e a r s website and read the schematics.
Victoria Cooks  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 5:07:11 PM(UTC)
Victoria Cooks

Originally Posted by: HumboldtRepairMan Go to Quoted Post
There's a relay board behind the control that has problems alot of times on these units or it's your main control ecu....what happens is the heat or the moisture from cooking gets up into the electronics and makes a bugger out of them. Also avoid using the self cleaning mode if you have one this will cause problems as well........both these parts are around $400. and i'm sorry i couldn't tell you off hand how to determine the problem unless you can hear the relays malfunctioning. The schematics don't show up on this site but you can go to s e a r s website and read the schematics.

We have the same oven and same problem. Sears repair came out 8 times and replaced board and recalibrated 8 times. Wouldn't honor lemon agreement until we got very insistent. They just let us know that we have a $900 credit to buy a new $2500 oven to replace the one that hasn't worked properly since the first time we used the automatic oven cleaner. Sears and their protection service agreements have been a terrible experience.
shyhootska  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 11:31:02 AM(UTC)
shyhootska

We have experienced the same issues. The top and bottom ovens both will stop heating at random while both are on or individually. The temp probe sensors in both top and bottom ovens test out at 1780 and 1870 ohms so I am ruling them out. I am going to replace the oven control board and see if this solves it. I had a sears "rep" at my house while it was under warranty more than once to address the issue and they could not replicate the problem. He said he wasn't going to replace any parts if he couldn't find the problem. I think he knew what would fix it but didn't want to come back with the correct part. We bought all new Kenmore Elite appliances and have had problems with EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! To say I'm extremely disappointed with Sears appliances is an understatement! The Elite product line used the same components as the low end Kenmore line. GARBAGE!
ThatGuy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 4:32:55 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
What's really wrong with most new ranges/ovens is they don't use heavy enough relays. So 2 o 3 years down the road the relay's contacts are fried and it either becomes intermittent or quits altogether.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply