Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stilltheone  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:57:20 PM(UTC)
stilltheone

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/4/2007(UTC)
Posts: 5

The appliance is making a loud buzzing sound when running, and it is not heating up at all. Everything else on the microwave works. The problem came on all at once. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
ripleys  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:33:13 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Senior Expert
Joined: 12/2/2007(UTC)
Posts: 79

The loud buzzing could be one of a few of the high voltage components (capacitor, diode, transformer, magnetron) gone bad. If you have a habit of doing a lot of microwave popcorn, chances are the magnetron is bad. Check warranty, may have 5 year magnetron warranty.
stilltheone  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 12:43:36 PM(UTC)
stilltheone

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/4/2007(UTC)
Posts: 5

Thanks for the info. How do I determine which part it might be? Thanks!
ripleys  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:20:32 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Senior Expert
Joined: 12/2/2007(UTC)
Posts: 79

If the microwave runs and hasn't blown the internal fuse yet, and you do a lot of microwave popcorn I would be sure that it is the magnetron gone.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:30:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Senior Expert
Joined: 7/19/2007(UTC)
Posts: 27,455

In addition to "ripleys" - it could be the diode too.

Gene.
stilltheone  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:28:13 PM(UTC)
stilltheone

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/4/2007(UTC)
Posts: 5

Gene-A technician diagnosed the problem as a high voltage transformer. How difficult is this to replace? Is there anything else I should consider replacing at the same time? Thank you for your time!
Gene  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:48:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Senior Expert
Joined: 7/19/2007(UTC)
Posts: 27,455

In order to replace the high voltage transformer you have to remove the microwave from the cabinet (a two men job according to the manufacturer instructions) and take it apart. It is not a difficult job but you have to be careful not to end up with an extra parts on the desk.

I would recommend to replace the diode together with the HVTr.

- The part number for the high voltage transformer AP176404

- The part number for the diode AP4315409

- Here are the break down diagrams for the Amana microwave Model ACO1840AW

Gene.
stilltheone  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:05:37 PM(UTC)
stilltheone

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/4/2007(UTC)
Posts: 5

Thanks Gene! I just ordered the parts from y'all. I'm so glad you guys are out there to help folks like me solve problems, and save money at the same time! I'll let you know how it turns out!
stilltheone  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2008 11:40:41 AM(UTC)
stilltheone

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/4/2007(UTC)
Posts: 5

Gene, I replaced the parts you recommended and there's still no heat. How do you check capacitor? Should we consider replacing the magnetron?
Thanks!
ripleys  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2008 4:34:51 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Senior Expert
Joined: 12/2/2007(UTC)
Posts: 79

I would have gone straight to the magnetron as they have been a more common problem in these newer microwaves. Good luck and don't spend too much money:)
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.