Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ImSR  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:49:49 AM(UTC)
ImSR

Groups: Registered

I am at my wits end. Washer won't go into drain & spin cycle. It only hums. Here's what I have done:

Jumped the lid switch
Confirmed pump is rotating and not clogged
Confirmed coupling isn't broken
Confirmed motor and transmission to be in working order
Confirmed motor electrical plug shows no damage
Looked over time switch and confirmed no apparent damage or burned area

Is there something I'm missing here? I've scoured help videos and don't know where to go from here. :(
Would appreciate any help. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ppipowerclass  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:56:31 AM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

I have worked on TONS of these over the last few months. The motor spins in 2 different directions. One way, is for agitate. The other direction, is for drain / spin. The transmissions in these style of Kenmore are a little tricky too. Luckily, they're VERY common. I would check the motor with a volt tester to make sure that it reading properly. If it is, take the transmission out and visually inspect it to make sure that it has no leaks / cracks or any oil on it. If it does, than it's more than likely shot.
ImSR  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:07:58 AM(UTC)
ImSR

Thank you for your reply. While I was waiting for a reply, I took the motor and transmission unit out again and have discovered that the shaft gear from the gearcase isn't catching in both motor directions. Actually the gears work fine with the top of the case off but when I replace the top, the pronged gear that fits around the shaft isn't spinning in both directions. So apparently the motor would "freeze up" when it tried to go in the opposite direction and only hum. I'm sure a gearcase for this model is pretty pricey. Do you suggest replacing it or getting a new washer?
ppipowerclass  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:11:17 AM(UTC)
ppipowerclass

They're VERY easy to replace! If that is the issue, I would call a local appliance place and see if they have a good used one for a reasonable price. If you lived closer, Id give you one of the 20 I have. haha.

I would replace the transmission.. you would for sure be able to get a few more years out of the washer!
ImSR  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:14:32 AM(UTC)
ImSR

Thanks so much! I'll definitely look into a used transmission. Especially since my husband broke one of the bolt heads off while tightening them yesterday and it was leaking drops of oil anyway. Didn't think I'd be able to get a used one!
I'm on a mission now....!
Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply