Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bbestone  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 3:57:09 PM(UTC)
bbestone

Groups: Registered

Need help!! my Ge porcelain gas cooktop glass shattered while cooking. Don't have the $ to replace entire unit but can still order parts, including the porcelain glass top, for about $300. Does anyone now the procedure to go about doing this? I'm a handy woman but would like to know what I would be getting into to and what to expect. New seals for all five burners would have to be ordered, but was wondering the procedure to do the entire thing. I have a GE JGP636WEV7WW. This thing just shattered while cooking and was not from dropping anything on it. Was also wondering if the thermostat that regulates the temperature on it could be faulty.I've never had one problem with this cooktop at all. Any ideas is appreciated. I've ordered the glass,now just need some guidance!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 4:03:38 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

Remove burner knobs and any bolts or screws undernath that attach to cooktop..........remove burner head caps and screws if necessary, you may have to drill out burner head screws if there seized.....make sure to order replacement screws if you have to.....then remove burner drip pans.......then everything should pop up.........if you have a problem go to sears parts website and they have schematics of the breakdown of your unit so you can see a picture......Good luck.
bbestone  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 5:40:06 AM(UTC)
bbestone

Thank you and I am also wondering what caused this? I read somewhere that there is a thermostat that controls the burners(?). Would this be why it shattered? Again, nothing dropped on it to cause it. It just 'popped' while cooking. \
Thanx again
BBestone
HumboldtRepairMan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:06:13 AM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

There is a surface thermostat but it boils down to simple science...porceline and metal don't mix and porceilin in my opinion have chances of cracks just like clay over time and heat expansion and cold contraction...Same theory for the glasstops sure it looks fancy but when thinking about appliances think of the use and my theory is keep it simple stupid that applies to the use of things as well as fixing things.........if you want fancy expect more parts and more problems just a basic fact.
bbestone  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:19:40 AM(UTC)
bbestone

Thanx for the quick reply. I'll try to find that surface thermostat and if not pricey, I'll replace it. All I know is that this thing worked great for the last 10-12 years and it needs to last another year at least. ( relocating soon.) Thanx again