Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rbuske  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:33:15 AM(UTC)
rbuske

Groups: Registered

Our Whirlpool upright freezer has a bad compressor. It makes a lot of noise when plugged in. It is now unplugged and we threw away all the once-frozen items. I would like to replace the compressor, myself. Is it worth the hassle? Or, should I buy a new replacement?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

StillThankful  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:29:03 PM(UTC)
StillThankful

Groups: Registered

I'm new here too but wanted to bump your message so that you can receive assistance. Are you licensed? I thought that only licensed professionals in refrigeration can replace compressors but could be wrong.
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 2:33:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Usually it makes more sense to replace the unit.

You need special equipment and expertise to replace a compressor or for that matter any internal sealed system problem re: a freon leak etc.

Local laws on working with freon vary from place to place so you have to check them for your location.

As far as I know you must be certified to work on older units using the old R-22 freon everywhere in the USA and Canada. The newer type freon depends on where you are.

Since sealed system problems can end up junking a unit it is important that you are sure as possible that it is the problem so use more care when troubleshooting this type of problem.

It is also important to check the warranty as some units have an longer warranty on the sealed system.

The above is just my opinion.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!