Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Legend in Your Mind  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:41:18 PM(UTC)
Legend in Your Mind

Groups: Registered

I decided to redo this with more info.
The compressor is apparently kicking on, but only intermittently and it heats up, but the inside of things isn't cooling at all.
Everything else seems to be working fine except the compressor kicks on long enough to produce heat, but no cold. So now I'm stuck and not sure what to chase down first to fix.
The interior fan hasn't come on that I know of, but might have as i do have the unit on my truck and getting inside is a bit difficult, but I can open the doors a bit.
Anyway, i really like this box and really want to repair it, but knowing where to begin is the challenge I am stuck not knowing.:eek:
From what I have read in other posts/threads it sounds like it's possible it can be the compressor starting unit, but again, I'm not quite sure where to start chasing things down or what to test.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advanced.

M
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

woodchuckie  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:52:20 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: Legend in Your Mind Go to Quoted Post
I decided to redo this with more info.
The compressor is apparently kicking on, but only intermittently and it heats up, but the inside of things isn't cooling at all.
Everything else seems to be working fine except the compressor kicks on long enough to produce heat, but no cold. So now I'm stuck and not sure what to chase down first to fix.
The interior fan hasn't come on that I know of, but might have as i do have the unit on my truck and getting inside is a bit difficult, but I can open the doors a bit.
Anyway, i really like this box and really want to repair it, but knowing where to begin is the challenge I am stuck not knowing.:eek:
From what I have read in other posts/threads it sounds like it's possible it can be the compressor starting unit, but again, I'm not quite sure where to start chasing things down or what to test.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advanced.

M

The condenser coil should be warm. The condenser fan should be running when the compressor is running. check your starter/overload relay here.
Refrigerator Repair Guide: How To Test the Compressor Relay - ACME HOW TO.com
If it rattles when you shake it it's bad.
Legend in Your Mind  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:03:14 PM(UTC)
Legend in Your Mind

The starter is the same as the overload/relay? Sounds right to me.. I've pulled them out of older models many times before.. please tell me these are often interchangeable. ;)
Legend in Your Mind  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:18:34 PM(UTC)
Legend in Your Mind

I think this just might be the culprit.. It not only rattles, but chunks of crystallized metal fall out of it. I think it's safe to assume this is officially a piece of crap and ready for the manure can. ;)
There are two parts though. one white, the crappy part and a black part, capacitor i assume. Should both be replaced?
I can't begin to tell you how much i appreciate the tip here. I love getting a nice $300-600 refrigerator free, putting a $20-30 part on it then reselling it. It makes my day usually.
You guys helped me learn how to fix a washing machine clutch as well. What a wonderful resource!
woodchuckie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:37:02 PM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

The capacitors don't usually go bad and can be a hazard to check as they store electricity.
Legend in Your Mind  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:02:33 PM(UTC)
Legend in Your Mind

Thanks again woodchuck.. Sorry it took so long.. I've been busier than bee in a flower patch this week, rain and all! Next up on my learn curve...dishwasher repairs.. I get tons of those things. ;)