Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zyfly  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:33:02 PM(UTC)
zyfly

Groups: Registered

My GE Fridge is 7 yrs old. I had a problem with both the freezer and fridge getting too warm (5 and 41 respectively). I also noticed a lot of ice forming in various places in the freezer such as the bottom drain pain, evaporative cover, metal brackets, etc.

To repair, in my Freezer section, I replaced both temperature Sensors (part AP3185407, one on coil, other on side) and also replaced the Defrost Thermostat (Part AP3884325). Both temp sensors did read as bad around 10-11 ohms at 32 degrees. I didn't test the DEF Thermostat. 2 days after the repair, it 'seems' that both the freezer and fridge are not staying close to their set temps and that it takes a long time to get them to their temps (0 and 34). For example, the freezer stayed at 2 and fridge at 37 for up to 5 hours while the compressor and condenser both on and evaporative fan on as well, though it seemed to vary in speed/sound. Now today, the fridge is at 36 instead of 34 set temp. It is 80 degrees in the house but here in Arizona, it is a little humid.

Q: I have read a lot that the main board in this fridge has been upgraded by GE due to many problems with it and that the main board is frequently the culprit in these things. I am wondering if the temp sensor failure is just coincidence and that the main board is still not functioning consistently and nominally. Should I just replace it?
Q: A local technician told me that if I replaced any of the temp sensors that would have to replace the main board as well as the board is not compatible anymore with the new sensors. Is this true and if so, could the sensors be damaging the board now or vice versa?

Thanks, Ron F
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.