Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
upsdave  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:33:14 AM(UTC)
upsdave

Groups: Registered

How do I replace the door torsion springs on a Kitchen Aid Superba built in convection microwave model # KEHC309JSS08. I know it is the right hand side because I found the broken piece with the blue tip sitting on top of the oven door. It is item 18 at Model KEHC309JSS08
Would greatly appreciate any help

Spring, torsion (left hand) - Left Hand Spring To Be Use With Stainless Steel Doors. For Right Hand Use AP3082257(Blue Tip)
Part Number: AP3137553 made by WHIRLPOOL

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

windguy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 1:38:04 PM(UTC)
windguy

UPSDAVE,

Did you get this replaced yet?
I have done this before and helped others on another forum, but don't recall which forum it was.
That spring is a piece of junk and a terrible design.
I'm sure anyone that ones one of these has had it break at least once.

Let me know if you're still in need of help.
chsdiver  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:29:17 AM(UTC)
chsdiver

I to just broke the spring and need to know where to get one and how to replace it. Can anyone out there help?
windguy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:16:30 AM(UTC)
windguy

Originally Posted by: chsdiver Go to Quoted Post
I to just broke the spring and need to know where to get one and how to replace it. Can anyone out there help?

CHSDIVER

See UPSDave's post above. He has a link on where you can purchase the part. The price is reasonable. I would buy two.

Replacing the spring isn't very difficult if you're mechanically inclined.
You're basically removing a few screws, the front panel of the door is removed exposing only the glass part that's still hinged. The springs are exposed. Hopefully one spring is still in tack so you can see the orientation of how to put the replacement in. It's not very intuitive on how to do this part.

Below are some notes I've saved from a forum that used to be on another parts supplier's website but seems to gone now. Not sure what happened to that forum. It was very good. I've been contacted by several people on how to replace this spring. You are not alone out there.

I recommend you order both springs first and have them in hand before you take it apart. First time doing it will take about an hour. First you take the vent grill out between the oven and the microwave, then the screws that hold metal plates at the bottom of the door, then two screws on the inside of the door that hold stainless panel to the assembly, then the screws that hold the large black plastic filler, leaving you with glass door still attached to the unit. The hinge area is now exposed, which the spring is more of a torsion bar. There are two going in opposing directions. Click the spring in place, open and close the door a few times to make sure all is well and then reassemble.

If you do not have any distractions and put the screws in piles for where they go you should not have any problems. You never remove the glass or the seal so there should not be any seal issue.

My micro/oven combo was slightly differently, so I ran into a snag with the exhaust vent that comes out between the micro and oven. Had to remove a screw on that so I could slide it over to get to a screw for removal. The screw is on the inside of the duct, hard to get to, and unnecessary since the duct is help in place by the front grill.

Another snag I ran into was putting it all back together. The location of the screws is another design flaw in terms of support. The door seemed very flimsy in how the cover fits back, but that's the way it is.

Good Luck!
chsdiver  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 1:40:14 PM(UTC)
chsdiver

thank you for the direction and help!

well i ordered part yesterday with 2-5 day service and it should up today. i had taken it all apart yesterday and put it back together again so i saw what i was up against. i put the new spring in and it works as good as new.

now the black plastic that KitchenAid chose to use SUCKS. i found the vent cover between the upper and lower oven cracked but i glued it back together as it was $45. then the black plastic that is behind the SS door of the upper that has the 2 SS clips screwed into it from them bottom one of the screw holes was also cracked. the black plastic panel was also very expensive to replace so i glued it so it could hold the screw again.

if KitchenAid is so good why can they not use good materials in their products? why can't they use better engineering of the spring assemble so that the springs do not break within the 1st 18months?

i will seriously consider not using KitchenAid in any of my kitchens in the future.
windguy  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 2:12:57 PM(UTC)
windguy

Originally Posted by: chsdiver Go to Quoted Post
thank you for the direction and help!

well i ordered part yesterday with 2-5 day service and it should up today. i had taken it all apart yesterday and put it back together again so i saw what i was up against. i put the new spring in and it works as good as new.

now the black plastic that KitchenAid chose to use SUCKS. i found the vent cover between the upper and lower oven cracked but i glued it back together as it was $45. then the black plastic that is behind the SS door of the upper that has the 2 SS clips screwed into it from them bottom one of the screw holes was also cracked. the black plastic panel was also very expensive to replace so i glued it so it could hold the screw again.

if KitchenAid is so good why can they not use good materials in their products? why can't they use better engineering of the spring assemble so that the springs do not break within the 1st 18months?

i will seriously consider not using KitchenAid in any of my kitchens in the future.

Glad you got it fixed with only minor collateral damage. You da man!
Perhaps you scored extra points with your wife or husband or well, whatever. You get the idea :)
I agree, Kitchenaid blew it on this design. The spring breaks at the bend, where the metal is fatigued when they bent it into shape. They should have redesigned this and offered the repair for free by their tech with an improved spring. They don't give a rat's butt about the consumer.
Our microwave has this problem in that it starts clicking during the defrost cycle. It's probbably some relay in the control panel area that cycles the high heat on and off. It's goes spastic sometimes. Not to mention sometimes the front panel goes into some funky state locking out the front panel buttons so I have to recycle the power at the service panel to reset it. This has happened several times since we've owned this oven/micro combo. As long as we can get at least 10 years out of this appliance I'll be happy. The overall design is okay. They just need to fess up on the parts they under-engineered and correct it. Enough complaining

Have a great weekend!
Shasta  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:32:04 PM(UTC)
Shasta

Originally Posted by: windguy Go to Quoted Post
Glad you got it fixed with only minor collateral damage. You da man!
Perhaps you scored extra points with your wife or husband or well, whatever. You get the idea :)
I agree, Kitchenaid blew it on this design. The spring breaks at the bend, where the metal is fatigued when they bent it into shape. They should have redesigned this and offered the repair for free by their tech with an improved spring. They don't give a rat's butt about the consumer.
Our microwave has this problem in that it starts clicking during the defrost cycle. It's probbably some relay in the control panel area that cycles the high heat on and off. It's goes spastic sometimes. Not to mention sometimes the front panel goes into some funky state locking out the front panel buttons so I have to recycle the power at the service panel to reset it. This has happened several times since we've owned this oven/micro combo. As long as we can get at least 10 years out of this appliance I'll be happy. The overall design is okay. They just need to fess up on the parts they under-engineered and correct it. Enough complaining

Have a great weekend!

I have the same problem as all the others--spring in my KitchenAid Superba microwave (KEMC378KSS0) keeps breaking, and I'm tired of paying others to replace it. You guys are giving me some confidence in doing the job myself, but I'm not sure of the part number to order. Originally thought it was 4451008, but then heard there was left and right hand, so perhaps order 4451009 also, but then saw that I should be using AP3137553 for the left or AP3082257 for the right since my model has the heavier stainless steel door. Not sure which side is broken, so I'll order both (since of course this won't be the last time I have to replace the #@*! thing...) Can anyone tell me which series would be best? Thanks!
windguy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:51:34 PM(UTC)
windguy

Originally Posted by: Shasta Go to Quoted Post
I have the same problem as all the others--spring in my KitchenAid Superba microwave (KEMC378KSS0) keeps breaking, and I'm tired of paying others to replace it. You guys are giving me some confidence in doing the job myself, but I'm not sure of the part number to order. Originally thought it was 4451008, but then heard there was left and right hand, so perhaps order 4451009 also, but then saw that I should be using AP3137553 for the left or AP3082257 for the right since my model has the heavier stainless steel door. Not sure which side is broken, so I'll order both (since of course this won't be the last time I have to replace the #@*! thing...) Can anyone tell me which series would be best? Thanks!

Shasta,

Fix it yourself. Just don't do it around meal time. Only a few steps to taking it apart. Lay a big towel on the counter and put all your pieces on it as you remove them. It's way easier than it looks.
Regarding the part number, I ordered P/N 4451009, Qty 2. No left or right. They were both the same for my microwave. They were $18.34 each plus $6.95 for shipping. Only one spring broke but I have a back up now. Good luck!
mtucker1949  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:43:16 PM(UTC)
mtucker1949

There are different numbers going around and I am confused. I haven't taken my door apart but I have two small curved metal pieces that broke off and my microwave won't work. I know it is the spring. not sure which one. Can I use P/N 4452396,for both springs. Mine is SS and I want to use the stronger one. It is possible I have 2 broken. Suggestions please. I called a repairman but I have been waiting on him for almost a month now. My oven is KBHC179jss05
3chicksmama  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:45:58 AM(UTC)
3chicksmama

The model number on my Superba oven is KEMC308KSS01 and I just installed parts AP3137553 and AP3082257. The door still feels just as heavy. Did I not get the correct replacement parts?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply