Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chicagojoe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:50:31 PM(UTC)
Chicagojoe

Groups: Registered

Our 1997 Kitchen Aid refrigerator has had issues with the freezer drain becoming plugged. From time to time we have to take everything out and fully defrost it to let the water drain again. I did that yesterday, and today while cleaning the refrigerator section, noticed that water had flooded the cavity between the cabinet and the back of the refrigerator section on the right side. If I push on the back wall I can hear the water sloshing around. I've not seen any reports of this in the forum.

It seems like the hose on the drain must have become disconnected or something in the tray might have rusted through allowing the water to build up. In general it is in great, clean condition so I am a little surprised.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any recommendations?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:22:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

There is a drain pan under the refrigerator. If it was too much ice build-up then defrosted water could overflow the pan. Also it is possible the pan got cracked due to age. You can easy replace it and the part is not expensive.

Try to clean the drain line in the freezer by blowing some air through it after it was defrosted.

- The drain pan Part number: 2189433
Chicagojoe  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:17:36 PM(UTC)
Chicagojoe

Hi Gene
Thanks for the reply. When the unit totally defrosted, I confirmed the hose was OK by running water down the hole and it went into the pan. The pan was not overflowing. The water I am feeling is in the back wall of the refrigerator, well above floor level. It is trapped between the back of the refrigerator liner and the back wall of the cabinet. If I drilled a hole in the back of the refrigerator section above the crisper drawers, I am sure water would come running out. Do you have any idea how it would get there or how to get it out?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2013 4:29:37 PM(UTC)
Gene

I never heard about such things and I have no clue how it could happen. If you are going to drill a hole be very careful not to damage any sealed system tubes.

Gene.
Chicagojoe  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:02:58 AM(UTC)
Chicagojoe

I ended up slicing two cuts in the back of the liner and siphoning just under a half gallon of water. I can only think that the water resulting from melting the ice build up in the freezer drain got between panels and drained to the back of the refrigerator. It was all the way to the top slit in the attached photo. I will wait to see if water builds up there again.
Chicagojoe attached the following image(s):
Refrig drainage.jpg
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 18, 2013 1:59:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

It could be a crack in the lining under the drip pan or/and around the drain opening.

Gene.
Chicagojoe  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 8:17:46 AM(UTC)
Chicagojoe

The ice in the freezer is back again and the water is back in the fridge. I feel like I am not finding the root cause. Is there a sensor or heater that melts the ice which is likely to be defective?
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:37:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Chicagojoe Go to Quoted Post
...The ice in the freezer is back again and the water is back in the fridge...

Hello,

Is the drain clogged again or the ice is on the evaporator coils?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Whirlpool KTRS21KFWH00 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Chicagojoe  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:56:16 PM(UTC)
Chicagojoe

Drain was frozen solid again. I found your test protocol and believe that the defrost timer is defective, which I have now ordered. I also wrapped a 12g copper wire around the heater and put it down the drain hole, so when then new timer comes in, the drain will be less likely to freeze again. Thanks for your help.
Chicagojoe  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2013 3:25:20 PM(UTC)
Chicagojoe

I purchased the defrost timer kit, but am having difficulty determining which configuration to use. I have both a white and red wire coming into the timer. I cannot find the wiring diagram. Does anyone know the correct defrost timer configuration for a KitchenAid KTRS21KFWH00?