Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
steeb2er  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:51:22 PM(UTC)
steeb2er

Groups: Registered

Short version: My washer cycles through (timer clicks and advances), fills, spins and drains but will not agitate. When it should be agitating, there is nothing other than light clicking of the dial advancing.

Long version: Last week the washer stopped filling; I found advice online that indicated it was probably the water fill valve. While replacing it, I learned that one of the shutoff valves from the wall was broken (yay) and made a watery mess everywhere. Replaced the fill valve and all of the hardware from the wall. The washer wouldn't do ANYTHING now, but I found a blown fuse in the door control switch. Replaced the fuse and now it fills, advances, spins and drains but does not agitate. Help! Did I short something? Other forum posts suggest it could be the teeth on the agitator, belts, transmission, motor, or the timer ... I don't have the desire to replace all of those, so I'm hoping you can help narrow it down for me.

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:53:45 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like you may have pulled a wire off of one of the timer connections while you were in there. There are connections on both sides of the timer. You will need to remove the knob, take the screws out and pull the timer away to check connections on the back side. To take the knob off, pry the cap off of it and remove the retaining clip. Problem could also be the speed switch. Did you try it in both speeds?

Eric
Joe / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:57:06 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: steeb2er Go to Quoted Post
Short version: My washer cycles through (timer clicks and advances), fills, spins and drains but will not agitate. When it should be agitating, there is nothing other than light clicking of the dial advancing.

Long version: Last week the washer stopped filling; I found advice online that indicated it was probably the water fill valve. While replacing it, I learned that one of the shutoff valves from the wall was broken (yay) and made a watery mess everywhere. Replaced the fill valve and all of the hardware from the wall. The washer wouldn't do ANYTHING now, but I found a blown fuse in the door control switch. Replaced the fuse and now it fills, advances, spins and drains but does not agitate. Help! Did I short something? Other forum posts suggest it could be the teeth on the agitator, belts, transmission, motor, or the timer ... I don't have the desire to replace all of those, so I'm hoping you can help narrow it down for me.

Thanks.

steeb2er, You've narrowed it down to a fault in the timer

Part number: AP4024622
Part number: AP4024622

or speed control switch

Part number: AP245708
Part number: AP245708

Check and ensure that only one button on the speed switch is pressed down and fully engaged. These switches had a tendency to"release" and create erratic motor operation if they got "bumped". Since the washer spins, and there is no attempt to try and start or run in agitate, it's not likely the motor, or the lid switch. You may want to lower the control panel, after you remove power to the washer, and check for any damaged wiring inside the console, due to water and moisture.
steeb2er  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:32:31 AM(UTC)
steeb2er

Groups: Registered

Good news / bad news! The good news, it's working! The bad news, it was just the control buttons that were half-pressed between stages and I'm kinda embarrassed. Thank you for the guidance to the easiest solution ever. You guys are awesome.
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:02:38 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hey, that's good news, good news. Easy fix. Happens to us all.

Eric
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:34:48 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: steeb2er Go to Quoted Post
Good news / bad news! The good news, it's working! The bad news, it was just the control buttons that were half-pressed between stages and I'm kinda embarrassed. Thank you for the guidance to the easiest solution ever. You guys are awesome.

steelb, Great !!! Glad it was that simple.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply