Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
1wickedwolf  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:43:35 PM(UTC)
1wickedwolf

Groups: Registered

Last week my (old) washing machine started making a rapid clicking noise while draining and spinning. I would stop the washer and start it back up and it would be fine. Then stopping it didn't make the sound stop, but it still worked away. Now, the clicking is there- and it won't spin anymore. Any thoughts on what it is? Also any idea cost of repair for this problem?
I apologize if this has been posted before- I looked and couldn't find my specific problem.
Thanks in advance!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 5:27:50 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Could be a drive block problem. The drive block secures the inner basket to the basket drive. Could also be a problem with the brake cam driver which is what drives the basket drive. Could be a problem within the gearcase. If your comfortable with tearing things apart, I can help you or you can call a tech. Whirlpool direct drive machines are definitely worth fixing. Parts are readily available and they are relatively easy to service. These machines are everywhere and most any tech has experience with them.

Eric
1wickedwolf  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:04:27 AM(UTC)
1wickedwolf

Thank you for your response, after checking prices on parts I have a new dilima. The washer came with our house when we bought it and I've already replaced the water intake valve and hoses. I don't know whether to keep putting money in it or buy a new one. Any suggestions?
Also does anyone know what capacity this particular washer is? I've searched and can't find a size.
Thank you.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:14:03 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, that is a 20 year old washer. If you are able to service it yourself and it's in decent shape (not rusting out), it's worth fixing it in my opinion. I would not want a new washer because of the ever more stringent government energy and water usage standards that they must comply with. I hear nothing but complaints about them and the new Whirlpool top load design is a piece of junk. On the market for 3 years and breakdown after breakdown. Be sure to do a lot of research before deciding on a new model.

Washer capacity is usually only listed in the sales advertising. To determine capacity, measure the depth and radius (half diameter) of the tub in inches. Square the radius, multiply that by 3.14, multiply that by the depth and divide by 1728 to give cubic foot capacity.

Eric
1wickedwolf  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:05:17 AM(UTC)
1wickedwolf

Thanks Eric, in your recommendation what is a good, sturdy washing machine right now? I have no concern about features really, I use two settings reg/heavy or delicate. Not big on frills when it comes to laundry :)
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:51:14 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The best top loader would be one of the Speed Queen models. They run around $800.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply